Menu

Ecosystems study with world geography for 5th and 2nd grade science?

rbk mama

I'm looking for a study of ecosystems to go along with a study of world geography/cultures for my 5th grader, with a 2nd grader tagalong.  MFW does something similar with the ECC core.  (I'd love to hear more about that from anyone with experience.)  I don't need a set curriculum- a few good resources would be fine.    The one thing we'll include for sure are the fun ecology videos by Untamed Science.  Ideas and book suggestions much appreciated!

I LOVE the MFW ECC program! It is my favorite curriculum find.

The TM for the program has a list in the back for the"book basket", which is a list of library books. Usually eBay has used copies.

Overall the program was just the right amount of flexibility and structure for us. (I did omit some of the missionary tales as I felt they were too emotionally mature /heavy for us at the time). And that book basket had such great picks.

I think this topic will be a hit for you no matter which curriculum you choose. Best wishes on a fun year!

I'm so glad to hear that!  Did you and your children enjoy the science portion?  I'm undecided about purchasing the MFW ECC guide as we already have the Eastern Hemisphere core from Sonlight and most of the MFW ECC books - and a bunch of others (but I will look and see how cheap the used TM copies are).  The books they list for science are pretty minimal.  Do you like the Properties of Ecosystems book?

I would pair the one small square books with Janice van cleave's science around the world and a good animal encyclopedia. If you study each animal as it appears in the one small square books you should have quite a bit of material. You could also study mountain formations, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and monsoons along with your geography.

• Like 1

I did a modified version of ECC last year with a 1st and 3rd grader. I had them do lapbooks instead of student sheets and Torchlighter videos instead of the missionary biographies. We actually liked the Properties of Ecosystems book. I added in some labs from Real Science Odyssey Life Level 1 (section about animals) and read them Christian Liberty Nature Reader 2 (more animal info). We also visited zoos, nature centers and a place called World of Chocolate (world monuments carved out of baker's chocolate). I know some folks like to add in the Apologia Land Animals book (too wordy for me). My kids did some projects I found on Pinterest for some of the biomes (grow a chia pet while learning about grasslands, etc.). 🌎

• Like 1

Great ideas!  Thanks!!  We love the One Small Square books, and Janice VanCleave's Science Around the World looks perfect.   I love the lapbook concept but haven't been successful with them - we should try again now that they're a bit older.  Never thought of growing a Chia Pet!  :laugh:  My kids would love that. 

Chocolate Cake I'm with you about Jesus and dark chocolate :thumbup1: 

• Like 1