Menu

MCT Level 1 Question

sarahsheart

This is our first year homeschooling & I recently switched our 2nd grade 7 yr old (oldest) from A Bekah to MCT and we are really loving the new material. I did order the whole Level 1 set & the Mud Trilogy set as well and have followed their guidance to start with just the Grammer Island first.

I have just been wondering when and how to apply the "Mud" books to our lesson/days?

Edited by sarahsheart

The Mud books are literature, right? They weren't out yet when we used Island level, but if they are like the other literature trilogies, just read through them aloud at your own pace.

With only 3 books for the whole year, you can choose whether to read them at a leisurely pace or sprinkle them in between other read-alouds.

I lean towards doing the latter. Slow reading works for some families, but we need to keep the storyline moving to keep interest high. I don't think they have any particular tie-in to specific parts of the LA curriculum, but I'd definitely read Grammar Island first so that everyone is familiar with Mud's character.

ETA: Read Sentence Island first. That's the one with a story line.

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 1

Okay, so it sounds like we aren't missing anything but adding it in now & that after sentence island might be a good time to start. By then I'll have time to read through them first. It was a much needed switch but I didn't like doing it right before Thanksgiving and with 2 little ones and the holidays I haven't had time to really look into all of the books.  

I appreciate it!