Menu

ESL 8th grader....Read aloud book list

bfw0729

This boy is currently 13 years old and has been living in the states for more than 3 years. He moved from eastern Europe. He is in the 8th grade, but technically should be in 7th. He just turned 13 last month. The problem occurred when he moved here. In his country, he was in the grade ahead (their cut off date was in December) and so it was a lateral move for him when he entered the U.S. school system. The cut off date at his current school is Sept 1, but because he was in the grade ahead in his country, they decided to keep him in it and not move him down. 

He is struggling in school across all subjects. I told his mother to get audio books of good, rich literature to help improve his vocabulary and English language skills. He is getting lots of tutoring help after school, but he is starting to rebel against all the extra work. I spoke to him about listening to some really good books on his ipad while he's relaxing in bed before going to sleep. He seemed very interested in this idea, but now I need to come up with a list of books that he will find very interesting but not too difficult. He lives by a lot of Indian reservations (southwestern region of the US) so I thought to try some books with American Indians in it. Two ideas included Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims and Little House on the Prairie (this book includes the Ingalls family living in Indian Territory). What do you think? 

Other book ideas... Lewis and Clark by George Sullivan, The Sword in the Tree, the Jean Fritz books, The Trumpet of the Swan, Twenty and Ten, Runaway Mouse, Snow Treasure (story about Norwegian children moving millions of dollars worth of gold when Nazis were occupying their country).  

Little house on the prairie most likely won't hold a 13 y/o boy's interest. I am highly skeptical about Squanto.

Go for something he would want to listen to because it is adventurous. Typical favorites of 13 y/os. Try Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Alex Rider.

My ESL children started listening to English books before they were able to speak any English. This boy has lived in the US for 3 years and will have some functional understanding of English, so go for age appropriate. It does not matter if there are occasional words he does not know; he will get them from the context - that is how one learns a language if immersed.

Edited by regentrude