Menu

Deperfuming...

RegGuheert

MomsintheGarden has been washing sheets, blankets, pillowcases, pillows, and Afghans that her mother used during her visit over Thanksgiving. While we had a pleasant visit with her, we find that we suffer various symptoms if we are exposed to her cheap perfume for too long, such as headaches and nausea.

I'm pretty sensitive to many smells, but it does seem that many older women choose scents which are not overly pleasant and tend to wear too much. Truly she's not as bad as some, but it seems to be getting worse.

Do others find this to be true with their elderly parents/in laws?

Their noses are less sensitive, and body odors can be worse and need more covering. It's very common. There isn't much for it except letting them know one spray is sufficient and more is too much, if you have a candid relationship :)

I agree with AM. I think their sense of smell isn't as sharp, body chemistries change too. Things that smelled good on someone 20 years ago aren't going to smell the same. I notice it more with women because I think as a whole we use more powders, make ups, and other things that are perfumed in addition to perfume itself, but older men can also go pretty heavy on the aftershave too at times which makes me thing its an age thing. 

It could just be that mil is used to the smell and your household is not. People become desensitized to the odors they live with daily and don't realize that other people can smell them so . . . much. I do the same washing routine when MIL leaves. I don't know if it's perfume, shampoo, or what. It's not bad or headache inducing, but it's just weird to smell her when she's gone. She probably goes home, unpacks her suitcase, and wonders why her stuff smells like our house.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2