Menu

Trying to choose, SOTW2 AG or KnowledgeQuest maps?

Georgia

I will be using sotw II middle ages soon, for ninos ages 8 and 10.

I am all set to buy the AG for the maps, but also see KQ has a big set on CD, world history plus American history for about $45.

Has anyone used KnowledgeQuest maps with this instead of the AG? Would I just be making more work for myself?

BTW, I'm really excited about this cycle. I think the kids are going to like it.

AND, each time we watch Night at the Museum, they get more and more of the jokes!! THAT's why we study history, kids! :p

I used the KQ Maps last year and *really* liked them. They have two levels of lessons - one for grammar and one for logic. And, the activities really expect more from the students than the AG (like, drawing a compass rose).

You may not have a map for each lesson ~ but there's always the maps in SOTW and the history encyclopedia. And, sometimes with the logic stage, you may not have covered exactly what they're asking for.

I have missed the in-depth lessons this year. (I ordered the AG since it would save time co-ordinating UILE and KIHW w/SOTW, so I just used the AG maps this year.)

Personally, I think I would get the activity guide. With the activity guide you are not only getting the maps, but also discussion questions, projects, and books lists. Additionally, with the activity guide the map work is spelled out for you each and every week. That’s not to say, however, that using the maps from Knowledge Quest would be difficult. You would just need to go through the maps and find the one that best suited your needs for the topic you are studying. Then you would need to come up with the things you wanted your child to mark.

Rhondabee, I didn't even know that the KQ maps came with lesson plans! And the two levels that I need! A bonus for me! I went ahead and ordered these because I like the "depth" that you mentioned for my dd10 and myself. :D

Wendy, AllSmiles, and Suzanne, I might even get the AG with sotw, too. You made it sound worthwhile. And my ds8 would appreciate less writing.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

They have two levels of lessons - one for grammar and one for logic.

Hi Rhonda, it's me again! :) I have and use the KQ maps for my kids. But what are these two levels you are talking about??? I bought my CDs about 3 years ago - have they changed them since then? Or do you mean the difference between the labeled map exercises and unlabeled map exercises? Phew, if so, I have been having my kids do too much!!! Please let me know! :) (Not that I'll condemn myself, but it would be nice to know I could let myself off the hook officially, and save those until later years - and I've been thinking of using the KQ maps again for logic stage - unless there is good reason to use the Geography Colouring Book which I haven't seen yet)

Georgia, the KQ maps are great. I just print off the whole year's worth of maps every summer, hole punch them, and put them in my kids' history notebooks. As for the AG - if you have the WTM, you can always use the book list/topics/people list in there by which to reserve library books.

We have the SOTW activity guide but I agree the maps are over simplified. We've been blowing up a map (usually one I print from National Geographic mapsite or KQ maps or Uncle Josh) to a larger size, using it as an underlay and making a map on nice paper (we use vellum). We add geographic features, and add in the information from the history chapter (often using the SOTW as a reference) and whatever other maps we find in the course of our reading. Sometimes we add information from several chapters on one map over a period of time. Some examples of maps we've done: exploration in the age of Elizabeth, the Crusades, World War I, Battles of the Civil War, Rivers of Europe, the Scramble for Africa. We have a beautiful set of maps now, sometimes the girls add quotations or drawings they find.