Menu

Testing a 9th grader: Pros and cons (crosspost--many highschoolers don't read K-8)

Jean in Wisc

I've been told and worked with 3 people (who should know) that my son is (probably) dyslexic. I've been able to teach him to read well (did parts of Omnibus I last year) even though he did not figure out phonics until 4th grade, and we've struggled through a number of subjects (composition for sure), but with his diligence, he is a B/A- student.

I've wondered if there would be any advantage in his being tested. Would he get more time to take his ACT? Would there be ways for him to get through college more easily if he were "labeled"? He is a very sweet child. He does everything I ask of him. He just keeps plodding along, doing the work day in and day out...and that is what has gotten him as far as he has gotten. He has worked VERY HARD to get where his is, though.

So, should I take the time and money to test him? What benefits would there be? Disadvantages?

Thanks,

Jean

I am not sure, in your situation. For my ds12, having him tested this year helped us considerably because of his self esteem around how difficult schoolwork is for him. He came out of the testing saying "mum, that means I am not actually stupid, i am just dyslexic". My heart broke.

The woman who tested him also made him realise all the famous dyslexic people out there (there is a list of 100 famous dyslexics on her website).

In the end, the woman who tested him said just to keep doing whatever I was doing because he was the most wel adapted moderate to severe dyslexic she had seen, and no program she could devise would improve on the one on one attention he was getting from me.

So, all in all, I am glad he was tested. He would however have to go for more formal, extensive and expensive testing in order to, for example, get exemptions on handwriting in public exams (be allowed to use a computer). The problem is, by then he will have improved significantly, as he already is, and the testing may not result in him being considered so severely disadvantaged- even though he is. Well, I will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I dont know your testing situation, jsut thought I would share the only real advantage for us in having him tested, so far, is that it helped his self esteem. Oh- and mine- since I wasnt sure what i was doing wrong.

If he were labeled, he would be able to have time and a half (or even untimed) options on his tests - if he isn't embarrassed to use it. My oldest dd had a letter from the lady who diagnosed her (and so did the school), but she was embarrassed to look different than the other kids; so she said she didn't need the extra time. By the time she got to community college, though, she was thankful for the extra time and used it for all her tests.