Menu

What do you think of Hands and Hearts history kits?

Annie Laurie

I asked the same question awhile ago:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53007&highlight=hands+hearts

I'd be curious in additional responses too. I'm still on the fence about ordering...

Thanks for the link!

I can't make up my mind either. I was tempted to go with SOTW and the AG but I'm awful about actually doing hands-on stuff. I thought maybe if it was all in a kit I'd actually do it. The kits are expensive if you buy several and the additional student kits.

I bought the Middle Ages Hands and Hearts kit to use with my dd when she was in 3rd grade (we were doing SL core 2). I thought the kit was put together well. Besides the supplies for crafts (which were interesting and the supplies were good quality), they also had a game, and pages which you could copy and use for handwriting, copywork, and writing assignments.

I don't have experience with any of the other kits, but I would say 8 or 9 is probably the minimum age for a child to use the Middle Ages kit. A number of the things in the kit were too advanced for her to use in the 3rd grade. I kept it, and next year when we study the Middle Ages again, I'll replenish what supplies I need to and use it again. I think it will work beautifully - we should be able to use almost everything. I hope to buy some of the other kits in the future.

Blessings,

Laura

Edited by Laura W.

I've bought the kits for Egypt and for Greece. Though we haven't actually started a project yet, I can tell by looking through everything included that I would easily have spent more than the cost of the kit if I'd bought supplies on my own for the same projects. My little one is still young for some of these projects (he's 6) but I knew before I bought that we'd be using these over the next couple of years. I am very pleased with both kits.

We're using Hearts and Hands Middle Ages this year. DD is loving it and I'm happy with the projects. Truthfully, I think it is only worth the money if you don't have time to put together your own projects and materials. We used SOTW AG last time around--there was more variety in projects, but I had to put it all together and it didn't get done. Now, dd reads the instructions, gets the materials out of the box and works mostly on her own.

We have used the Middle Ages kit and are working our way this year through the Early American and Westward Expansion kits. What I most appreciate is how historically relevant the projects are. I also love that the clear instructions, (which are written to the student and even include reminders about thoroughly preparing one's work surface, as well as cleaning up the mess) explain the historical significance of each activity.

Another nice aspect of Hearts and Hands is that notebooking pages are also included, along with copywork and memory verses (if that's something that would interest you).

I was a slightly less impressed with the Middle Ages kit than I am with those for American History, but overall we have enjoyed both. I personally felt it was worth the money to have everything included. YMMV.:)