Menu

HiSet exam?

I just heard about the HiSet exam, an alternative to GED exam.  Does anyone have any experience with it?

I tutor math for GED students.  I have a few that have been working on it for a looonnnnggg time.  Part of the problem is taking it on the computer.  So, I am curious about alternatives.

ETA:  Dang.  Just figured out it's not available in FL.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Hi Sue!

My mom has been teaching Adult Education in Tennessee for 23 years, and since our state has transitioned from the GED to the Hiset over the past couple of years, she does have some experience with it. She has mixed feelings about it. She has found the math portion to be substantially more difficult on the Hiset than the GED. The Hiset tests a higher level of math knowledge (well into Algebra 2 topics), and it also asks the questions in what she calls a more "round about and tricky" way. There are very few direct math problems on the Hiset. It is written by the ACT company, so she says the questions are more like ACT questions than the old GED style. So that's her 2 cents. 

I think she likes the Hiset's other sections. It's the math (which is also her speciality) that is giving her students enormous difficulty. 

Also---I was under the impression that the Hiset is ONLY offered on the computer. I wonder if that is true?

Jetta