Menu

Does this type of literature unit exist?

I found a literature unit I really like, and was in the process of re-writing it to be homeschool friendly, then realized my daughter had already studied The Giver while in public school last year.  I am trying to find something similar either for a) The Hobbit or b) another utopia/dystopia novel, like perhaps Brave New World (if that isn't too hard for a weak 9th grade reader?)  She would like to re-read The Hobbit because when she read it when she was younger it was really hard for her to understand what was happening, as it was above her reading level at the time.   I've been searching for a lit guide like this one: http://www.sausd.us/cms/lib5/CA01000471/Centricity/Domain/106/The%20Giver%20Unit%20Final%202.8.16.pdf that includes an introduction to annotation and note-taking, as well as non-fiction tie-ins.  Does that exist?  She has 10 weeks available, but will also be doing a research paper part of the time, so I may need to take a shorter study and spread it out.

Here's a current thread with links to lots of guides for The Hobbit: Hobbit: Best Literature Guide?

A free resource: Houghton-Mifflin has lesson plans for The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy -- units 1, 2, and 3 are an overview and on The Hobbit. But, this is not quite like your linked guide above.

These are the only resources I've run across for Brave New World, and they are NOT really like your linked teacher plans for The Giver:

- Monarch Notes (free)

- The Best Notes (free)

- Sparknotes (free)

- Cliff's Notes (free)

- E-Notes (for a fee)

- Bookrags (for a fee)

Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA: PS -- Regarding doing Brave New World with a weak reader in 9th grade:

The novel is not written in difficult language, so that is not the problem. But the material is mature, and I personally don't tend to recommend Brave New World for under age 15-16. I think George Orwell's book 1984 is similarly mature, and I personally recommend waiting until the upper high school grades for it as well. Just me! :)

For other ideas of dystopian works that would work for a 9th grade weak reader:

- sequels to The Giver (Gathering Blue, The Messenger, Son)

- The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm (Farmer)

- House of the Scorpion (Farmer)

- House of Stairs (Sleator)

- The Hunger Games -- Garlic Press Discovering Literature guide (and sequels, if desired, also with Garlic Press guides)

- Ender's Game (Carde)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Thanks, Lori D!  That thread link was great, and I decided to focus on the annotations and notetaking with the video lectures on that link!!  It worked out perfectly.  Non-fiction can wait until next year, as I don't think she could handle any more than I already have.  I looked at Common Sense Media on Brave New World, and I don't think she would be comfortable with it, despite being nearly 16.  Thanks for the warning.  I'm set!  Thanks for the help!