Menu

Experience with the BMAT ?

Dd has to make a plan B, just in case Scotland won't remain in the EU...

After a lot of ' I don't want to make a plan B' sighings, she finally got a solid plan B.

I thought.

This University has a numerus fixus on several of his majors, and uses the BMAT:

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/ In its selection procedure.

Has anyone experience with this test?

I've never heard of it.

I think I will see a friend who teaches Chemistry at one of the listed University's tomorrow. I will try and ask about that exam. I have never heard of it. I didn't know your dd was planning to go into a medical field.......I thought literature and languages for some reason.

• Like 1

I think I will see a friend who teaches Chemistry at one of the listed University's tomorrow. I will try and ask about that exam. I have never heard of it. I didn't know your dd was planning to go into a medical field.......I thought literature and languages for some reason.

Thanks!

The BMAT is also used in the Netherlands for Biological and Environmental Sciences with Numerus Fixus.

If she is serieus about that, she will have to change track in deed (Latin - Science) but that will only skip the German and the Greek and add more Math and Physics.

She is also considering Theology and Midden East studies so she still has some decisions to make :)

I wonder if IGCSE Physics + Chemistry is 'enough' for the Physics and Chemistry part of the BMAT.

or that it should be A- Level for all three sciences (A level Biology was already in the planning)

We have time, but it is hard to keep everything at high enough level, to keep all options open.

I would not mind if dd would make a choice we could working to :)

Have you looked at the part of the website that talks about free past papers? I would look at one of those. What I am seeing on the website says Gcse level so Igcse should be great.

Did you see this book/resourse list? It was part of the free papers section.

Further reading

Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the BioMedical Admissions Test

Thinking Skills by Butterworth, John and Thwaites, Geoff

Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction by Thomson, Anne

Thinking from A to Z (2nd Edition) by Warburton, Nigel

Critical Thinking: An Introduction by Fisher, Alec

Just so I understand my question your dd plans to use this for a seat limited program in Netherlands? The Prof is actually Dutch with his dd in Uni there. We leave our house at 8:45 or so.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the part of the website that talks about free past papers? I would look at one of those. What I am seeing on the website says Gcse level so Igcse should be great.

Did you see this book/resourse list? It was part of the free papers section.

Further reading

Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the BioMedical Admissions Test

Thinking Skills by Butterworth, John and Thwaites, Geoff

Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction by Thomson, Anne

Thinking from A to Z (2nd Edition) by Warburton, Nigel

Critical Thinking: An Introduction by Fisher, Alec

Just so I understand my question your dd plans to use this for a seat limited program in Netherlands? The Prof is actually Dutch with his dd in Uni there. We leave our house at 8:45 or so.

Yes,

It would be for Wageningen University & Research.

If he is Dutch, he knows Wageningen by name :)

Not al programs require the BMAT but a few dd is interested in.

• Like 1

I just wanted to let you know that our friend wasn't able to come today. We are hoping to see them before Christmas. I do have a few other people I can ask who may be able to answer the science requirement part of your question. I will keep trying.

On a side note I have seen the Butterworth Thinking Skills text before and remember it as interesting. After looking very quickly at the links this morning I think that might be a good place to start for BMAT preparation since Thinking Skills appear to receive equal weight to the scientific knowledge portion of the exam, at least the multiple choice portions.

• Like 1

I just wanted to let you know that our friend wasn't able to come today. We are hoping to see them before Christmas. I do have a few other people I can ask who may be able to answer the science requirement part of your question. I will keep trying.

On a side note I have seen the Butterworth Thinking Skills text before and remember it as interesting. After looking very quickly at the links this morning I think that might be a good place to start for BMAT preparation since Thinking Skills appear to receive equal weight to the scientific knowledge portion of the exam, at least the multiple choice portions.

Thank you for doing this!

2017 is the first year they require this, so information is rare in the Netherlands too.

I ordered the Butterworth text, today :)

Now I have to convince dd to write the university and ask what tracks from Flanders they accept.

It seems they are only familiair with Dutch and Arbitur exams.

Sad for you, not seeing your friend...

• Like 1