Menu

Need advice, ideas and suggestions, please

runamuk

My dd8 went to a public school for K-2, so this is our first year homeschooling. She is reading on a 6/7th grade level with her vocabulary and spelling skills are at the same level. We've already modified our program (Winterpromise American Story I) and don't do the spelling work (Spellwell books B and Bb) as she finds them too easy and boring. She's gets angry when she does something she feels is too simple or condescending to her.

The problem is that she cannot seem to narrate in any way, shape or form, our non-fiction history readings. She does very well with books she enjoys, but when it comes to nonfiction, she cannot seem to remember the material. She says it's boring and she doesn't like to read boring stuff (I can't say as I blame her; I can't remember but a tiny portion of my history classes).

I've tried a number of different ways of helping her. We've tried taking one and two sentences and breaking them down to summarize. She ends up reading through the sentences 3 or 4 times, then repeating them almost word for word. I've asked her to tell me what she thought was important from the paragraph. I get a blank stare, sometimes with tears. I've asked her to tell me anything she remembers, anything at all. Another blank stare. I've suggested she write down her narration, either using free form writing or a who, what, why, where, when style form. She dislikes writing as much as she dislikes narration. I've gotten out maps and found other material to reinforce our reading and hopefully help her to remember. It worked to a degree; after reading about Henry Hudson twice in her history book, looking at two maps, making a map, watching a video on explorers and then seeing him referenced later in her history book did she finally remember what he did. She couldn't remember why he sailed up the Hudson, who he was sailing for, or what he did later - just that he sailed up the Hudson River.

I've considered adding WWE to our curriculm to help her learn how to narrate and to help her writing skills, but I'm worried that it may be too easy for her. She likes to be challenged but is also easily frustrated (what a combination! :) ).

I'd love to hear any advice or suggestions anyone may have. We've both been dreading our history readings and it's gotten to the point that I'm just want to skip them all.

Runamuk, love your name! I don't think you have a narration problem but a history problem. A very bright child finds narration boring, especially by 3rd grade, and you're asking her to do it on material that bores her on top of it! You need to read WTM and see the progression of the skills so you can go to the next level. When my dd was in 2nd grade, I was pulling my teeth trying to get her to narrate, and she finally said to me, "Mommy, if you wanted to know what it said, why didn't you just read it yourself?" Hehe. As with copywork and other things, they outgrow these skills. The point is not that a certain age kid needs to do such and such, but that the skill is necessary in the progression. Some kids go through the skills more quickly or jump. I have a feeling if you talked with her, there are topics she likes and tells you all about. Does she like to talk about her friends or a day out with grandma or a movie she liked or stories she makes up with her toys? That's narration. I wouldn't assume she can't narrate, just because she can't force herself to narrate dry, boring history junk. (I don't like the spine WP AS1 uses, btw, so no wonder she's bored.) Have you tried reading her something she LIKES and then discussing it? That's narration and might go over a lot better. I'd try other material, other methods, before you assume she can't narrate. With a bright, advanced, bored dc, my guess is the problem is the material and the boredom, not a lack of ability to narrate.

I wouldn't get WWE just yet. Not that I don't like it, but you're solving a problem you haven't established yet exists. You also don't know what level she would need. How does she spell? If she's an advanced reader, is she advanced at other things? I'd go ahead and put her into Writing Tales 1. It will be much more stimulating and on her level. If she really likes to write and writes prolifically on her own, go ahead and put her into WT2. I did WT2 with my dd last year (3rd grade), and it was AWESOME. Like I said, advanced kids cover these skills a lot sooner and you have to use more interesting materials and more sophisticated ways of approaching it. (WT2 teaches outlining, paragraphing, and then retells the model.) My dd isn't a prolific writer, so I cut down the assignment lengths in WT2 for her. She was conceptually there but the length of the models threw her. It was a co-op class, so I had to plow forward. It turned out to be a really great, really maturing year for her, because we covered sentence beginnings (like IEW dress-ups), paragraphing, integrated the grammar analysis, etc. So you're still doing narration, but it's kicked up to fit a more advanced dc.

Don't buy things to solve the problem till you figure out what the problem is. It's easy to end up with a bunch of stuff that's not what you need, lol. Since your dd is advanced, I would look for things that say 4th-6th grade. Just your tip of the day. :)

I don't think you have a narration problem but a history problem.

:iagree:

There are so many wonderful ways of covering history that I'd abandon (and have in fact abandoned) material that is boring or isn't "connecting" with a child. It sounds like you've started to do that already by finding companion books and videos, so why not abandon the textbook altogether, pick a time period and find everything your library has on it? If you've read the Well Trained Mind you may want to start at the beginning rather than at the random point your curriculum had chosen.

I personally think that history at this point, no matter how well a child reads, is a broad overview to give context to all the science, art and literature and other details that are encountered all through school. Some periods and cultures just click with a child, and others won't stick no matter what you do. Your case of Henry Hudson may be such an example! Over the years we've used a collection of historical fiction, biographies and an odd assortment of non-fiction materials to cover each major period of history, and I've found most of it at the library.

Your dd has a lifetime ahead of her to study history so your job at this point is to not let it become a drudgery!

It may be that your dd will still struggle with narrations after you switch material, or is, as Elizabeth suggests, so far beyond it that she is resisting it because she is bored. Keep talking about the material you are studying, try some narrations on topics that fascinate her (a science subject perhaps?) and get a feel for what she really knows, or where her struggles are.

Thank you for your insights! You both have given me things to think about.

OhElizabeth, I think you nailed our problem - we have a history problem, not a narration problem. Or, rather, a history book problem. Elle likes history, as long as it's presented in a fun way. She read Pocahontas and the Strangers in 3 days and talked about the book for 5 minutes when we came across Pocahontas' name in the history book she hates so much. She read The Birchbark House in 4 days and was able to tell me about each day's reading. She finished Pedro's Journal and not only narrated the book to me, but was able to hypothesize about why Pedro wouldn't want to go on another journey using examples from the book. I guess I'm stuck on her being able to retain and retell her history lessons because I think she should be able to do this (public school thinking, maybe?).

She spells very well (on the same level as her reading), but doesn't like to write. She just learned cursive and it takes her a while to write everything out, which frustrates her. I've suggested she print, but she says she learned cursive and that's what she wants to use.

JennW, I picked up a copy of the WTM at the library (and ordered my own copy) and I really like the way the history lessons are laid out. I'm thinking of using SOTW next year.

Elle seems to be interested in the children and women of the periods we've covered. She likes the books we're reading for ASI and also likes the American Girl/American Diary books at the library. She hasn't expressed interest in one area or wanted to do any further indepth studying or reading yet, but I'm encouraging her to let me know if there is.

Thank you both for the wise words and support. :)

You might also get her into the Childhood of Famous Americans books. Many are still in print and should be at your library. The older editions even have timelines and things at the back. My dd is like yours and likes seeing relationships and connections with people. So for instance she'll read the COFA on Abraham Lincoln then the one on his wife then the one on his son...

With the american girl books, there are craft books and cookbooks that are very nice and worth getting. We're starting american history in January, so I've stocked up on them and integrated them into our history plans, just doing a project or two from them each week.