Menu

X-post: Lingua Biblica from Memoria Press...

Has anyone actually used this Latin translation course? I've done some searching and can't find any posts with "first hand" experiences. I would love to hear from someone who has used it. Was it worthwhile? Did it enhance your Henle studies? Would you use it again?

Background: My 10 year old son (5th grade) will finish LC II by Christmas break (after having completed PL and LC I). At this point, I plan to have him begin Henle with the MP study guide. And I have found that my goals for his Latin studies have changed. Initially, I was only interested in Latin for its vocabulary boost. But my son seems to have a natural "knack" for this language; he is mathematically-minded and loves the order and patterns of Latin. That is why I thought a translation course along with Henle might appeal to him.

Thank you!

Jetta

Well I'd hardly say I have first hand experience but we are using it. We just started last week. My 9 year old is using it along side Henle and the MP guides. I'd have my older one use it too but she's doing Henle in one year with a co-op so she's got plenty of Latin to do right now. She'll do some of the advanced lessons later in the year.

I can tell you a bit about how it's set up. It's set up in three sections. Level 1, Level II and Level III. Each level it set up to take a year - as if you were breaking Henle by MP guides. In the front it gives you an exact layout of how each lesson co-ordinates with Henle lessons.

Level I is primarily grammar exercises and sentence translation with sentences based on Bible stories. Level II steps the difficulty up. By Level III you are translating full paragraphs from the Bible.

I wouldn't call it necessary but it's a nice compliment to Henle for additional translation work and a break from the 'The Gauls invaded Rome' kind of sentences.

Heather