Menu

RightStart G or Saxon 7/6

DS(9) did Right Start A-E and we were halfway through E when he hit a wall in 3rd grade.  We moved to Saxon 5/4 and finished off the year with that.  He is in school this year 4th grade.  MAPS test results put in the 95% for math with a score of 225.  He is bored and wants to do math at home.  Would you do Right Start G or Saxon.  

I will probably only be after schooling till christmas.  He has requested to homeschool again.  He is in a private school, we live internationally and hubby's company paid till christmas so he wants him to stay till then.  That said beast academy might not be a bad idea.  We have it and never really used it and he might find it a fun.  Will pull that out and take a look.  =)

• Like 1

Beast Academy has been a great challenge for my daughter, who had previously been absolutely flying through RightStart. BA is now our primary math curriculum. Especially if you already have it, use that.

Other options for some afterschool challenge (or variety once he's back home) include Zaccaro's Challenge books and Hands on Equations.

this is the accelerated learner board, but that seems to have many meanings.  One is to go through routine level work but sooner than normal.  another would be to do higher level work that requires more thinking and deeper understanding.  if the latter is desired, then saxon is never indicated, in my opinion (I am a retired college math professor who has worked with bright youngsters, including my own).  I firmly believe saxon is indicated only for those who are struggling and need a very focused rote approach without challenging problems, aiming at minimum computational competency.  It helped one of my children superficially, who had attention and short term memory problems, but ultimately let him down in terms of interest, depth, and creative challenge.  His school which adopted it in hopes of raising standardized test scores, abandoned it at last because they realized  the children "didn't understand anything" (quote from the lead teacher).  I recommend Harold Jacobs' books, as well as the somewhat duller but substantive AOPS books, for those who can enjoy them.

Edited by mathwonk
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My dd (9) has worked up through lesson 55 in RS level G after going through levels A-E.  She also did Beast 3A-D as a review and I think we shall start AOPS pre-algebra in January (picking up RS G sometime in March perhaps?).

With that background, she enjoyed the beginning lessons very much, but it certainly is getting to be more difficult.  The geometry lessons are fantastic, but we are at a point where we need to stop for a bit before moving on.  She has been bisecting lines, calculating areas of different polygons, and comparing angles (alternate and corresponding).  If your son enjoyed the drawing lessons in level C then he will probably like G.  Also, just in case you weren't aware, there is a very short Rightstart Fractions book that we went through as well.  HTH.