Menu

South American and Canadian history- living books suggestions?

quietchapel

The Story of Canada by George W. Brown, Eleanor Harman & Marsh Jeanneret is pretty good but there are a couple of despicable parts due to 1950's bias (I remember one paragraph about how the RCMP was doing such a good job of taking care of the native people! :ohmy: ) . It's really engaging and has little sub-stories to keep the children's interest. It's a lot like Makers of the Americas. Makers has some South American history but the US patriotism is exhausting if you're not a patriot.

If you have elementary aged kids, I really like My First History of Canada by Donalda Dickie. It's written like a story and we all find it interesting.

Yes, we used and liked this too.  It reminds me a little of Our Island Story, in that it is non-fiction in a really narrative form.  It's not quite as delightful as OIS but still very good.

It isn't in depth on anything - for that other texts will have to be added - but it's the best narrative structure I've found so far for that age group.

• Like 1