Menu

Need math help

Mtngrace

My 9 year old daughter is high functioning autism and ADHD. She is about a first grade level math still in some areas. I am trying to figure out what curriculum to use. She did Singapore math in her public school in K and 1st grade. I wanted to use it but it looked hard for me to teach. I have been doing CLE math in which I like but she seems to be just going through the motions and not really understanding math. I love the looks of Right start math and may use it for my first grade son. I know everyone likes math u see but my daughter really thrives on fun colored pages. She actually likes an Abeka math first grade workbook that we have to use as well. She likes all the animal pictures and cute pages. Do you think Abeka math would be ok for a visual type non-mathy kid? Singapore? Right start? I don't really want to do Math u see. I don't know why I just don't like the teachers manual and my daughter doesn't like the blocks.

Rightstart doesn't have fun coloured pages but neither do you spend much time on worksheets, especially in level B. If you think it's a good fit anyway, go for it!

If you want to add colour to the pages, you could buy a pack of stickers...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Singapore has the fun aspect, with cartoony pictures and puzzles to solve. 

I love RightStart B.  If you're getting RightStart anyway for your son, I'd consider either a) using it for your daughter but sticking mostly with the game-based learning--not that there are all that many worksheets or b) using the RightStart materials to introduce Singapore's concepts and the games to reinforce.  IMHO, the idea behind both of them is the same (very hands-on, incremental), but Singapore went the cute/colorful route while RightStart went the stark/clutter-free route.

You could also look at MEP.  It's very hands-on, and it's free.  It's not colorful, but it is full of pictures and fairly visually appealing.