Menu

Best probiotic or other advice?

anmom

Long story short Dd has daily stomach pain. She has been allergy tested and had scopes and nothing has been found. Eliminating gluten and dairy helps (if she eats it she is in terrible pain and can't leave the bathroom), but still has daily nausea and pain. I'm at my wits end. This has gone on her whole life. We have been taking probotics but I see mixed reviews on which ones/kind is best. Anyone have good luck with one?

Any other words of wisdom? What would you do?

I've spent a lot of money trying different probiotics, and I hate to tell you this but I didn't really feel like any of them helped.  Whole plain yogurt and other lacto-fermented foods (kimchi, sauerkraut) that contain those good bacteria helped.  There are entire cookbooks devoted to that topic if you'd like to give it a try.  It's not a difficult thing to make, but it is time-consuming.

I must say, though, that your daughter's problem sounds more serious than the one I was dealing with.  I feel so bad for her!  I'm not sure what else to recommend, but I hope someone here will have some good ideas.  Does she eat a lot of natural foods (fruits, veggies, meat, whole grains, dairy, etc.) or is her diet pretty high in processed stuff (sugar, white flours)?  The thing about getting the good bacteria going in your digestive system is that you also have to be feeding them good food.  My understanding is that foods high in soluble fiber (beans, oat bran, avocados, berries, etc.) are the best.  I'm assuming she's seen a gastroenterologist? (and that I spelled that correctly? :D )

• Like 2

She does see a gastro. They originally were treating her for ulcerative colitis and then after new scopes said that wasn't what she had. Basically because she doesn't have anything they can see on the scope they offer no help. We eat mostly paleo, very little processed food.

Edited by anmom
  • Like 1

She does see a gastro. They originally were treating her for ulcerative colitis and then after new scopes said that wasn't what she had. Basically because she doesn't have anything they can see on the scope they offer no help. We eat mostly paleo, very little processed food.

That sounds incredibly frustrating.  :grouphug:  I wish I had some answers for you.

From my (extensive) research, I'd highly recommend investigating home-made (or locally, small batch) fermented foods. Kimchi, kombucha, fermented pickles, home made yogurt, etc, etc. 

I have long-used bottled probiotics, but I've recently started learning to make fermented foods (started with Kombucha, fun!) due to their vastly greater potential to really add large volumes of probiotics. 

• Like 2