Menu

Chalkdust (Larson) vs Lial Precalculus & Calculus?

I want something with clear video explanations, and want to use the same curriculum for both precalculus and calculus for easy transition. Also want the calculus to prepare ds for the AP test. Can anyone share their experiences? Or for calculus would you recommend PA Homeschoolers AP calculus course? Thanks!

My oldest did PA Homeschoolers Calculus BC last year with the Larson text. He easily made a 5 on the Calc BC exam (though he is naturally mathy). (He did AoPS precalculus).

This year we are doing a mix of MIT opencourseware as well as finishing the Larson text to finish out multivariable calculus as he didn't want to do it at the university based on timeframe.

I'm thinking for my next son, I'll probably use the Larson text with the free videos and worked out problems on Calc chat  to teach him calculus myself. The only thing I'd add to the Larson text for AP is specific AP review.

• Like 1

My oldest did PA Homeschoolers Calculus BC last year with the Larson text. He easily made a 5 on the Calc BC exam (though he is naturally mathy). (He did AoPS precalculus).

This year we are doing a mix of MIT opencourseware as well as finishing the Larson text to finish out multivariable calculus as he didn't want to do it at the university based on timeframe.

I'm thinking for my next son, I'll probably use the Larson text with the free videos and worked out problems on Calc chat  to teach him calculus myself. The only thing I'd add to the Larson text for AP is specific AP review.

my son is using Larson for his AP Calc  thanks for the Calc chat tip

http://www.calcchat.com/

free videos?  Larson (where?) or MIT OCW

Edited by MarkT

Here's the link for the 10th edition Larson Calculus videos.

http://www.larsoncalculus.com/calc10/content/proof-videos/

I have no idea how they differ from Chalkdust, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are very similar (same).

There are also videos for the  Larson precalculus book and others  - just google it.

On calc chat there are worked out solutions for every odd problem in the book. There are also unit tests.  I have no idea how calc chat tutoring works as I've never used it.

I "think" the videos and worked out solutions are in two different locations, but they are just bookmarked on my computer now so they are easy to find.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 1

As far as why I will teach calculus to my second son rather than use PA Homeschoolers again - the biggest reason is that I can. I needed to outsource last year as I simply didn't have the time to teach and my oldest needed to learn to be accountable to someone else.

I have mixed feelings about the PA Homeschoolers calculus class. I do think it prepares students well for the AP exam. You can private message me if you want to know more about our experience with PA homeschoolers calculus.

• Like 1