Menu

Psychology/Criminology Literature?

My son is very interested in psychology/criminology and his goal is to become a profiler.   :eek:  He is reading psychology textbooks for fun but I want him reading more literature in his spare time not just textbooks. Does anyone know of any good literature that is not too graphic/morally corrupt in your face literature out there that could appease him?  I thought too of case studies and studying people's "minds" but just don't want anything too mature since he is only 13.  He did love Phineas Gage I did think of that one.  :) Thanks for any ideas!

Has he read the Sherlock Holmes books? I'm not sure where your line of too graphic/morally corrupt is. It's tricky when you throw criminology in the mix. Has he tried Agatha Christie? Again, I'm not sure where your line is.

I'm presuming Crime and Punishment doesn't meet your standards, but it would fit psychology/criminology. 

• Like 2

Could you pre-read some of Oliver Sacks' books yourself to see if you/ he will be comfortable? I draw slightly more relaxed lines for mine and he loved googling for case studies during his murder-via-poisons phase (you can get lost in them on Wikipedia so definitely be aware if using that method).

Wilkie Colllins' The Moonstone was a good choice for DS at 10. He loved Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie and Father Brown too so definitely seconding those. Crime and Punishment is one of my favorites for this genre and I also loved The Stranger by Camus but like WMA says, not sure where exactly your line is drawn.

• Like 2

I don't have a book suggestion but would recommend studying body language which will help with future studies and interviews.

Awesome idea!  Never thought of that but will look into that idea!  Thanks

Has he tried Father Brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will look into, thanks for idea

Has he read the Sherlock Holmes books? I'm not sure where your line of too graphic/morally corrupt is. It's tricky when you throw criminology in the mix. Has he tried Agatha Christie? Again, I'm not sure where your line is.

I'm presuming Crime and Punishment doesn't meet your standards, but it would fit psychology/criminology. 

Trying to stay away from rape, affairs, etc.  Crime and Punishment maybe in upper HS not now.  Not sure about Sherlock Holmes but will check out him and Agatha Christie!  Thanks!

Could you pre-read some of Oliver Sacks' books yourself to see if you/ he will be comfortable? I draw slightly more relaxed lines for mine and he loved googling for case studies during his murder-via-poisons phase (you can get lost in them on Wikipedia so definitely be aware if using that method).

Wilkie Colllins' The Moonstone was a good choice for DS at 10. He loved Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie and Father Brown too so definitely seconding those. Crime and Punishment is one of my favorites for this genre and I also loved The Stranger by Camus but like WMA says, not sure where exactly your line is drawn.

Never heard of them, will check out thanks!

One more example of relaxed lines was Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

He is reading this one now...thanks!  Also just read Frankenstein too.  :)

• Like 1