Menu

A different PSAT question...

This morning when getting ready to take my dd to the local ps for the PSAT I took the time to print out the calculator policy from their website. It doesn't specifically mention brands, but states generally that graphing calculators are allowed (with exceptions like it must run on batteries, not plug-in, etc.)

Why did I do this? Because last year when dd took this test at same ps she was told she couldn't use her calculator (the same one she took this morning) because since not all students have a graphing calculator it wouldn't be "fair." (BTW, I'm really starting to hate the word "fair".) She was given a simple 10-key calculator to use instead.

I made sure the counselor we checked in with this morning was aware that dd had her SAT approved graphing calculator with her. I'm picking up my dd at 11:00.

All that to ask this question: I go to pick up dd at 11:00; if I find out she was not allowed to use her approved calculator, what action/recourse do I have?

All that to ask this question: I go to pick up dd at 11:00; if I find out she was not allowed to use her approved calculator' date=' what action/recourse do I have?[/quote']

I think I would contact the PSAT people - not the school proctors, but the actual PSAT people. Tell them that your daughter was not allowed to use a PSAT approved calculator. You should be allowed to have her retested, without charge, in another venue. And, they should promise to let the proctors at the school you used know that they messed up.

Did you contact them last time?