Menu

Business PSA

creekland

It might be my week for PSAs... things I possibly should say in person, but can't bring myself to...  

If you are going to run a business that depends upon (new) people coming in, it's wise to stay publicly neutral in politics - especially in a divisive year.  You have a right to support your candidate, of course, no one is saying otherwise, but don't complain that business is way off this season/year when your decorations turn off roughly half the population.  That other half is unlikely to suddenly spend twice as much to support you even if they nod in agreement.  

A public business needs to appeal to all the public to keep going the way it has been in other years.

This honestly seems to me to be common sense for those owning businesses, but I guess not?

• Like 4

Given the decor in most of the coffee shops around here? I'd say it's something overlooked a bit, otherwise they view their business like a bumper sticker instead of a money making venture.

Oh well. People use their businesses as another extension of themselves and their self expression all the time, but that doesn't mean every expression is good business sense!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Given the decor in most of the coffee shops around here? I'd say it's something overlooked a bit, otherwise they view their business like a bumper sticker instead of a money making venture.

Oh well. People use their businesses as another extension of themselves and their self expression all the time, but that doesn't mean every expression is good business sense!

I could potentially see coffee shops being a little different if they have plenty of regulars who come and agree with the owners.  Business won't be hurt that much.

But if in a tourist town and depending upon tourists to come in or if you're in a usually "once and done" client/owner situation it's totally different.

I appreciate it. It allows me to know who I should avoid patronizing in the future.

Perfect for my point.  ;)  Now if only the business owners could read this.  They might no longer question why business is way down or remark at how bad the economy is (even when visitor numbers are up in the local newspaper).

• Like 2