Menu

Different way to use Fix-It Grammar

We don't use IEW products except for Fix-It Grammar.  The first book was great and DD learned a lot.  However, in the second book, she kept getting messed up on the grammatical terms.  Fix-It would use different terms to define clauses and phrases than DD was learning in her other texts. So, while we both liked the concept of the curriculum, we had to ditch it last year.

Well, while planning out this year, I got to thinking how I could incorporate FIG into our English studies again and came up with this plan.

We now use FIG as our dictation every Monday.  I dictate the complete paragraph for each week to DD on Monday.  She has to label the parts of speech and pick out all the clauses. She turns in her paragraph and I correct it.  During the next class on Tuesday, I go over her dictation with her.  If there are errors, I use The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need and other resources to teach the correct way to identify the concept she missed.

It's actually working out great, and we are both glad to have the fun of FIG back.  

• Like 4

I like that!

So she writes the paragraph, then does she identify the parts of speech and clauses on top of her written paragraph or in the original workbook?

I struggle to be able to identify all the parts of speech with confidence sometimes. I wish Fix It had all their sentences completely analyzed in the teacher's manual.

I like that!

So she writes the paragraph, then does she identify the parts of speech and clauses on top of her written paragraph or in the original workbook?

I struggle to be able to identify all the parts of speech with confidence sometimes. I wish Fix It had all their sentences completely analyzed in the teacher's manual.

She skips lines when I'm dictating. Then when I'm done dictating, she identifies everything right in the paragraphs she's written.