Menu

Baptism (infant) - private or during church service?

ktgrok

We are Catholic in a large parish and had "private" baptisms for 2 of our 3 kids.  What I meant by private is that it was not during the mass and not done in a service involving a number of infants.  Technically, anyone could have come to the service.  At the time, I had a large number of local family members, many of whom would not have come for a full mass, but did come for the private service.  Also, I had a great uncle who was a priest and wanted him to celebrate the baptism.  Also, dh and I are on the shy side and would not have been comfortable with having that much attention on us during the mass with that many people in attendance.  Another great thing about this was that all the younger children could be up close and see what was going on. 

When my youngest was born, my great uncle had passed away so we had to choose differently.  We could have chosen to have it done during the mass, but those are only done a few times a year, and, well, there was the shyness aspect.  Our parish has a baptismal service for up to 6 infants after all the Sunday masses a couple of times a month.  We chose the latter option, mostly because we didn't have our "own priest" to do it privately. 

In your situation with family members who are not Catholic, I think I would opt for a private service. 

• Like 2