Menu

Questions about Shurley English

lazycat

I am looking into Shurley English and would like to give it a try. I went to their website and did some research. Here is what I found:

Shurley English has two different versions: school version vs. homeschool version. School version teacher's manual itself costs $225 and is color printed. Homeschool version costs $56 for a kit (teacher's manual + student workbook + CD) and is black & white.

Right now they also offer digital version. Digital version is listed under both their school website and homeschool website. After looking at the TOC and contacted their customer service, it is confirmed that the two digital version are the same. That means, digital version is actually their print school version, even under homeschool webpage.

When looked at their TOCs I found school version teacher's manual contains far more pages than homeschool version. Besides school version contains a student textbook that is not included in print version homeschool kit and it is not sold separately at homeschool website (you can only buy it from their school website for $59). 

Does anyone ever use Shurley English digital version? Is it good? TIA!

P.S. here are the level 4 TOCs FYI:

Homeschool digial edition teacher's maunal TOC: https://www.shurley.com/pdf/toc/Digital_Edition_Level_4.pdf

Homeschool print edition teacher's maunal TOC: https://www.shurley.com/pdf/Homeschool/toc/level_4_table_of_contents.pdf

The black and white version gets the job done, but the books jump around a bit (go to page 14 section 1, etc.)  This took some getting used to for my second grader who did the school version at school in first.  They have multiple assignments per day, and it can be a little annoying.  You might do half a page one day and then pick up on that same page and do a page and a half the next day and then one section the following day.  The school version is certainly prettier.  I have not used the school teacher's manual or digital version.  If it were the same price, I might be tempted for the color, etc.  However, keep in mind the reams of paper it will cost to print it all off for the student.  I am assuming you'd want to print the workbook, at least.  If you're looking for the more economical choice, the printed homeschool choice would come out cheaper for that reason, unless you plan to use with multiple students.  Even then, color printing is expensive.