Menu

Reading based learning?

pocjets

Let me see if I can explain this. I feel like I'd like to have a larger emphasis on reading in our homeschool day. We tend to move from one content subject to the next and then finish up for the day. I'd like my kids to read more across all subjects-history,science,literature. Is there something that provides this so that I'm not having to pull it all together. I'd like to read aloud more with my kids too, but I'm really thinking and looking for books they can read on their own. And yes, Christian content is great. Thanks in advance.

Robinson is heavily reading based. We still use it as a spine even though we add in any number of eclectic programs. History, science, and even logic/philosophy are taught through reading selections. It is Christian in bent to be sure and the reading choices reflect that in tone and content.

http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/curriculum-contents-list/

We do not do it self study by and large, because our math and language arts are very teacher driven by need of my students. But they still do more independently than many other programs once reading skills are established. I love the flexibility.

Merry and Linda,

Can the kids read any of sonlight independently? My kids in school are 6th grade down to k.

Thank you!!!

That was my issue with Sonlight when I did it - endless reading and teacher dependent in the lower grades. I found we got comparably little payoff in knowledge and skill for the time spent compared to other eclectic programs. They do more independent reading beyond the lower grades but it was too much for our family even with combining ages in our core. Edited by Arctic Mama

Merry and Linda,

Can the kids read any of sonlight independently? My kids in school are 6th grade down to k.

Thank you!!!

It depends on you and your child. A 6th grader who is a strong reader would be able to read some themselves especially if you choose a core (or HBL package as they are now called) at the lower end of the age bracket. Some parents like to do the reading with the child; some like to have the child read as much as possible themselves - you get to decide that yourself 😊. I have done both at different times and with different kids. If you are reading a lot, you can divide it into different parts of the day so that you are not reading too much all at once. There are ways around it. HTH.

Let me see if I can explain this. I feel like I'd like to have a larger emphasis on reading in our homeschool day. We tend to move from one content subject to the next and then finish up for the day. I'd like my kids to read more across all subjects-history,science,literature. Is there something that provides this so that I'm not having to pull it all together. I'd like to read aloud more with my kids too, but I'm really thinking and looking for books they can read on their own. And yes, Christian content is great. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if it was recommended, but Moving Beyond the Page is literature based across all topics. It excludes math. I'm using in for 10-12yrs and the full curriculum west around $850. It's working well, but I find that I need to supplement the grammar and sentence structure parts. Not because it isn't covered,but because I'm not great at explaining it!