Menu

Increased tantrums before cognitive leap?

I posted before about my 4.5yos sensory sensitivities. We're still pursuin an OT eval, but her tantrums have greatly decreased in the last Couple of weeks. She's still picky about clothes, but her undies no longer cause tantrums every day and neither do the shoes.

I've been trying to find a pattern for what seems to be causing the cycle of tantrums. She'll normally be highly sensitive and prone to meltdowns for a couple of months and then fine for the next few months. This past week I noticed that she seems to be reading more fluently somewhat suddenly.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in sensitivity before a cognitive Leap? It's one of the patterns that I've seemed to notice the last couple of times, but wasn't sure if I was grasping at straws here!

This gives me something to be on the lookout for. DD(11) just had a major leap forward in reading fluency and gross motor skills. She has been in crazy meltdown mode over everything as well. A boo boo equals end of the world type pain for her. She has also been eating more than a grown man some days yet is still in the 10-15 percentile in height and weight. 

Susie

Neither of my children are sensory babies, but yes, it seemed like each child was more emotional prior to a developmental leap.

That's good to know. She is definitely more sensory sensitive and higher anxiety. Both of which were a bit more out of hand in July and August. It will be interesting if this pattern seems to be true.

Do you do anything to help your kiddos through the emotional period? Or is it just something you cope with as it occurs?

When my kids were smaller and melting down, I would have to take an inventory of what was different.  Were there too many screens?  Did they get enough sleep?  Are they getting sick?  Was the routine whacked out or unusual in some way?  Sundays were the worst because our schedule was so out of kilter on that day. Am I getting along with DH?

If I suspect growth is the trigger, I try to be patient and clamp down on normalizing the routine while maybe throwing in a reward for good behavior.  Sometimes just recognizing the growth helps.  Anyhoo..That's my go to fall back plan.  For my mental health, I meet with local lady friends for coffee, dinner, and/or a Sat breakfast.  I need separation from my children and DH respects that. 

IRL, I have repeatedly discussed my 8yo's behavior because she can be so bossy and difficult.  All the moms that I know have experienced the same thing with their girls.  Obviously, I don't tolerate the bad behavior, but I try to temper the response and remind her repeatedly about what is appropriate.  Actions have consequences.  My DD loves to sit, chat, eat graham crackers, and drink tea.  We don't do that all the time, but we do it enough that my DD really likes it.  

ETA:  My mother congratulated me when DD turned 2 because as she put it, "I had successfully cloned myself."

Edited by Heathermomster