Menu

If I wanted to switch from Xfinity voice unlimited...

quark

If I keep my Xfinity internet but want to switch out Xfinity voice unlimited (which costs about $20/mth extra) what should I switch to that will give us some significant savings? I know $240/year might not seem like a lot but we already pay $100/mth for internet. I'm just looking to reduce the bill as much as I can. I don't want to go without a landline for emergency/ backup reasons. And I prefer using a landline to speak to people when I am at home vs using my cellphone.

We use the landline for local and international calling although I've been using Skype for international most of the time (and WhatsApp too). Would something like Magic Jack save us money? If suggesting a company you are satisfied with, please let me know why you like them! :laugh: I would also love to be able to keep my landline number when switching if possible.

Thank you for any ideas you may have!

Edited by quark

Thank you Stephanie! So do I just buy the $90 system from Amazon and set things up from there? I'm guessing it works with current handsets right? I don't have to buy their handsets too?

What if I had another phone in a room? Would the system cater to having two handsets?

You need to get your husband to call when he is bored in office to negotiate the xfinity internet price down. We pay $40 per month after my husband called and bargain after it went up to $70 per month. Every time we bargain we manage to get a one year "discount" of $30 on average.

We don't have landline so don't know about the voice part.

Thank you Stephanie! So do I just buy the $90 system from Amazon and set things up from there? I'm guessing it works with current handsets right? I don't have to buy their handsets too?

What if I had another phone in a room? Would the system cater to having two handsets?

I bought my system directly from Ooma.com. They were great with helping me figure out my set up. Yes, you can use multiple handsets. I bought the handsets through OOMA. I actually have five handsets, and I ported over 2 numbers (my mom was living with us, and I wanted to keep the number she'd had for decades). It was all quite painless with a couple quick calls to OOMA to figure out how to make Mom's number just ring to one handset. If I hadn't had that complication, I don't think I'd have even needed to call them at all. 

But, yes, all you need is the $100(ish) base station plus if you want the fancy handsets, you can buy them from OOMA. (You can use any old phone if you like. I liked the photo-caller-ID element since Mom had dementia/Alzheimer's). 

• Like 2