Menu

Formal spelling for good speller?

scootiepie

I got through AAS 3 with my now 10 yr old boy, then went for the entire last year without doing any spelling with him - mainly because I couldn't decide whether or

not to continue AAS, and I wanted to "shop around".   But I never found anything I liked.  He seems to be a good speller in spite of stopping.    He has a great memory and with exposure to words, he knows how to spell beyond what he's been formerly taught.

I really don't know how to proceed.   I already did nothing spelling-wise last year.    AAS 4 seems too easy.  (I'm thumbing through it now).  Do I fly through the remainder of AAS, do nothing, or switch gears somehow?    I have not been able to find a spelling program I like, so I'm falling back to AAS, but technically you're supposed to go through it all rather than take a placement test and start somewhere in the middle.

Just curious if you have a kid like this, what worked for you?

My first kiddo (now 14) was a naturally good speller, read a ton, etc...  We did very little spelling with him over the years and he spells wonderfully.  I tried a few products but nothing seemed to fit and none lasted very long.  Sequential Spelling was by far the best fit..daily word lists..no crosswords or corny activities..just spelling :).  With my younger kiddo (4) I had promised myself I wouldn't drop the ball on spelling this time around..but he too seems to be a naturally good speller so here I am again not really doing anything with him with regards to spelling and kind of dropping the ball again.

Sorry..I know this wasn't terribly helpful but I wanted to share our own experience, lol.

• Like 2

I got through AAS 3 with my now 10 yr old boy, then went for the entire last year without doing any spelling with him - mainly because I couldn't decide whether or

not to continue AAS, and I wanted to "shop around".   But I never found anything I liked.  He seems to be a good speller in spite of stopping.    He has a great memory and with exposure to words, he knows how to spell beyond what he's been formerly taught.

It sounds to me like your experiment of a year off was successful--he can spell words beyond what he's been formerly taught. Maybe you should try another year like that--focus on learning to spell words within his writing, and see if his skills continue to grow. Some students don't need a formal spelling program, and you can spend time elsewhere.

If you do continue with AAS, definitely fast-track through AAS 4. If he knows the words easily, teach him the concept, check some of the harder words to see if it's easy for him, maybe do a few selected dictations, and move on. Your goal in that case would be to make sure to fill in any gaps with regard to concepts and move him ahead to the more difficult words. Here's an article with an example of how to fast-track through level 1--and you can use the same kind of approach with other levels. AAS 4 can look easier because it's still not longer words--some of the words are those easily confused with others (homophones), and a lot of the letter teams used in shorter words. AAS 5 really starts to put everything together and get to longer, multi-syllable words. Then AAS 6 and 7 introduce advanced phonograms, Greek & Latin roots, and go up to 9th-12th grade level words. 

• Like 1