Menu

After those posts on Ben Franklin's autobio...

I was worried about whether my son could read it, especially since I just handed it to him to read instead of doing it aloud as we usually do. He read and enjoyed it, though, and wrote a page of his own autobiography in the same style, which had us all laughing when he read it aloud. Phew!

-Nan

I think Andrew Pudewa shared something similar, only I think it was a story that one of his students had written in the manner of Dickens.

Copying and imitating the style of another author's work is very instructive, and actually very classical, too!

Would your ds care to share a segment of his story with the rest of us? If not---that's fine. I don't want to put him on the spot, but it would be cute to hear.

I thought Ben Franklin's Autobiography was really very funny in parts--starting his own sect, deciding to become a vegetarian and then reversing that decision, etc. Quite humorous!

I just asked him to write a little bit of it.

"As a student in the last year of his secondary schooling I am often required to read the writings of those who founded this expansive country. Although many ingenious men took part in the noble acts of the year 1776, by far one of the most ingenious was one Benjamin Franklin. One of his most entertaining works, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, was written in a very contemporary and unique style. I have been charged by the headmistress of the institution, in which I reside and study, to write a short piece about my early life, while endeavoring to duplicate Mr. Franklin’s unique style. I have already attempted in this last few lines to do so. The longer and more complicated sentence structure, as well as the use of more formal and perhaps even more scientific language, comes quite easily and naturally to my hand, but I must express my concern that I am but a poor hand at the literary style known as humor. Therefore, I must ask the dear reader to forgive any blunders or poorly executed attempts. I must also remind the reader of an old sailor’s advice to me, “When trying to better one’s position, one must never advertize one’s inadequacies.â€

I have ignored this sound advice because I am not, through this writing, attempting to better my position and because I believe the saying, “Honesty is the best policy.â€

My life began in the town of ----, on the ----th day of -----, 19--… "

Tell your ds he did a great job! I think it's really instructive for kids to learn how to imitate the style of other great writers; it's not that they should be quenched from forming their own styles, but the imitation can come in very handy later on if they have to write pieces of satire.

Excellent. A job very well done!

• 2 weeks later...