Menu

Computer Hardware People: converting power system from European to USA?

Penguin

We are relocating from Europe to the USA, and my son has a tower PC that was custom built from components.

Will it be a big deal to have the power supply/system changed from continental European to the USA system?

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

No. You (or your son) will need to buy the appropriate PSU (Power Supply) for that Tower Case.

NOTE: There are many cables from the PSU going to different connectors on the drives and on the Motherboard. I suggest that the person who does the swap of the PSU take the time to draw a diagram on a piece of paper, about where they go, before disconnecting anything...

NOTE #2: I did this on my first PC, many years ago. It may still be working.

ETA: You cannot change the PSU that is currently inside the tower. You need to replace the PSU with one that will fit into that tower, that is made for the USA.  There are probably many reputable brands. The SSD I bought for this Dell Mobile Workstation is a Corsair. You might include Corsair PSUs in the ones you consider buying. Also PC Power & Cooling...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

We are relocating from Europe to the USA, and my son has a tower PC that was custom built from components.

Will it be a big deal to have the power supply/system changed from continental European to the USA system?

What a great educational opportunity -- many modern computers have power supplies that can use 240 volt or 120 volt inputs, and either have a manual switch, or automatically detect the difference.  You should have him read up on the specification for the component that he bought --  you may just need a physical converter to plug the computer into the wall.

Edited by GGardner
  • Like 2

What a great educational opportunity -- many modern computers have power supplies that can use 240 volt or 120 volt inputs, and either have a manual switch, or automatically detect the difference.  You should have him read up on the specification for the component that he bought --  you may just need a physical convert to plug the computer into the wall.

Yes. I forgot that. There is probably a slide switch on the PSU (Power Supply Unit) to switch between 120 VAC and 240 VAC.    However, as noted, the plug on the end of the cable that goes into the wall is different.  So, at a minimum, you would need an adapter, that goes into the socked in the wall, and then plug the (European style) Plug into the adapter.  However, I am no positive about the AC used in Europe. Is that 50/60 cycle?  

You can sell your TV sets in Europe, because I don't think there is any possibility they will work with U.S. Technology unless Europe has switched to U.S. Technology.  

We are in Colombia, and everything here is the same as in the USA, but in other countries it isn't that easy.

• Like 1