Menu

Biology - Human & Animal for the 5th-7th grader

BlsdMama

*without* a lot of supplementation.

DD (7th grade) is fascinated by the idea of studying zoology.  She isn't one to change her mind.  EVER.  Birds are her favorite, but she also loves snakes & small mammals.  DD (5th grade) is really into human anatomy and biology.  We've done the Zoology 1 from Apologia.  We have the Human Anatomy book from Apologia.  

I could alternate but I don't really WANT to.  I would like to find a good middle school level (not elementary level that I have to shore up a lot) science biology that has some zoology and human body all in one.

Is there such a thing that is good? It seems as though everything is meant for a lower level with supplementation OR a freshman level biology book.

• Like 1

I just lost my long response with links included.  Sigh.

I would recommend EO Wilson's ebook Life on Earth.  We downloaded the Botany one on the ipad with no problem.  You can add Quark Chronicles, if you'd like (I haven't seen her materials, but they get good reviews here).

MP has a Bird Study.  Cornell Lab of Ornithology has many resources, but I can't figure out how to choose.  

DD13 is doing Nature Journaling through Bravewriter.  Maybe you can add My Family and Other Animals and All Creatures Great and Small?

There are tons of documentaries.  Here are some lesson plans for Life of Birds on pbs.

Nature's Notebook looks like awesome citizen science.

Barb from Harmony Arts has Outdoor Hour Challenges.

Best wishes.  DD13 is doing Botany and Ornithology first; then she will be doing some zoology and equine science.  I look forward to hearing about your finds!  Your requirement of "without a lot of supplementation" doesn't seem possible!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1