Menu

How do you use Light to the Nations/or textbooks in general?

Jennifer132

We have never done a textbook approach before. I like the looks of Light to the Nations, but I'm just wondering how others have used it. Do you just assign reading and have them take quizzes and tests? Do you do all the quizzes and tests? What about the workbook? Vocab? Timeline? How do you fit it all in? Do you try to add in appropriate historical literature or projects? How do you go about doing that? This is for a 7th grader, and we are coming from Heart of Dakota.

A WTMer put together a plan using Light to the Nations and lots of other materials. You can see how she did it. (I used it as a guide & changed the resources, but my plans for that year were roughly equivalent. I didn't use the TM for LttN1 at all.) Scroll down to "History Resources for the Middle Ages, Renaissance, & Reformation."

The next year, my plan was much simpler. I did build in literature books, historical fiction, timelines, and writing - but it was less extra because the book itself took so much longer to read. (LttN2 is thinner, but the printing is smaller, I think.) I did use the TM, but have never used the workbook.