Menu

LLATL with GWG AND WT 1???? Help

Okay, we made the switch just last week from Calvert to my own curriculum. I am happy with my choices, but a bit leary with English (even though I have a BA in English! LOL). My question is, is this a good combination or overkill:

LLATL Orange

Growing with Grammar

Writing Tales 1

Is that too much? Should I cut a book? Would LLATL and GWG be enough? Should I use some of the Writing Strands 3 book I still have and teach writing on my own since that is my background? Is Writing Tales a good writing program??

HELP. Any recommendations of combinations is welcome. I already have LLATL orange and Writing Strands 3. Thanks!

EDITED to clarify and ask a new question:

Well, I already own LLATL orange, so I am going to try it before tossing it. I really like the way it is working with my youngest.

My oldest is 9 and he is doing mostly 4th grade work right now. He did not have a lot of instruction in ps on grammar and the workbook style that Calvert used did not work for him at. all. What I want is to make sure we have grammar covered completely as well.

I was reading the website for WT and the author said she used WT 2 with her own child in 4th grade and adding GWG. I guess what I am asking is what, if anything should I add to LLATL (other than spelling. He is an atrocious speller and we have AAS as well as the Calvert 4th grade CD just to keep him up to level with his reading and such). I also have Writing strands 3 already. We tried a bit of it and dropped it just because I didn't know what I really wanted to do yet or how to plan, or anything else, for that matter. LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

I am not sure about LLATL and GWG and WT.

GWG is a great basic - to the point - no thrills - workbooks style of learning grammar. But, grammar isnt too thrilling to begin with!

LLATL is just that - a lit approach to integrating all language arts together.

WT is a writing specific course.

I tried LLATL and did not care for it. It was too "lose" for my teaching style or dd learning style. I do know several folks who have used it for at least one year and liked it.

You have other choices to consider.

If you want a literature approach, you might consider Total Language Plus. We are doing a couple workbooks this year since they coincide with our history reading. This will streamline the subjects.

If you want a different approach - something more Charlotte Mason, you might consider Sandi Queen's Language Lessons. We are using these this year very successfully (and enjoying the process).

I didnt catch the grade you are planning. But, you might also look at Winston for grammar,

Ignite Your WRiting or Jump In for writing,

Drawn into the Heart of Reading for literature

Isnt homeschool great - you can create what you want!

I think WT and LLATL together might be overkill. WT is a writing program, but it also includes elements of LA--grammar, spelling, vocabulary, etc. We used LLATL Orange last year but my dd really didn't care for it. I put her in WT 2 this year (along with Easy Grammar) and she likes it MUCH better. We also use the Calvert Spelling CD to go along with it.

HTH!

Well, I already own LLATL orange, so I am going to try it before tossing it. I really like the way it is working with my youngest.

My oldest is 9 and he is doing mostly 4th grade work right now. He did not have a lot of instruction in ps on grammar and the workbook style that Calvert used did not work for him at. all. What I want is to make sure we have grammar covered completely as well.

I was reading the website for WT and the author said she used WT 2 with her own child in 4th grade and adding GWG. I guess what I am asking is what, if anything should I add to LLATL (other than spelling. He is an atrocious speller and we have AAS as well as the Calvert 4th grade CD just to keep him up to level with his reading and such).

Sorry, I get what you are saying now. :001_smile: When we used LLATL Orange, I didn't add anything to it except spelling. I probably didn't really need to do that, because my dd is a pretty good speller. *I* personally think it's a good program; my dd just really disliked it for some reason.

HTH!

Edited to add: It sometimes seems that the grammar in LLATL is "random"--however, we are using Easy Grammar this year and I find that my dd remembers a lot that she learned while using LLATL.

I thought the grammar in LLATL introduced too many things in one week or so. It doesn't expound on one area before flitting along to the next one. But then I looked and it seems to use those same things all through the grammar parts, so I guess it is sort of spiral then. We will give it a go. Like I said, I really like the way it is working for my youngest. He really enjoys learning with LLATL Blue. He is Kindergarten/1st grade level right now, though, and the books are a bit different for that age. There is no book study or real writing stuff (not yet, anyway).