Menu

math sequence question

That is the standard sequence, except for the fact that College Algebra is only a semester and most people would do a one year Precalculus course instead which is half college algebra and half trigonometry.

Unless you have a weak math student, I'd include trig.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

There are absolutely books that are college algebra with trigonometry -- Lial does one. I have it and it's virtually identical to one of their precalculus textbooks. 

College algebra (one semester) + precalculus or trigonometry (one semester) will equal a one year high school precalculus class. It is ok to do over a year but most high school seniors should be able to handle it in a semester as precalculus is a common high school senior class. If the student is struggling then doing college algebra over a year and incorporating lots of review of previous math is a great idea. 

Another option for a non-struggler is to do college algebra (one semester) and statistics (one semester) if you know your student is not going into a major that requires math past college algebra. 

• Like 1

There are absolutely books that are college algebra with trigonometry -- Lial does one. I have it and it's virtually identical to one of their precalculus textbooks. 

College algebra (one semester) + precalculus or trigonometry (one semester) will equal a one year high school precalculus class. It is ok to do over a year but most high school seniors should be able to handle it in a semester as precalculus is a common high school senior class. If the student is struggling then doing college algebra over a year and incorporating lots of review of previous math is a great idea. 

Another option for a non-struggler is to do college algebra (one semester) and statistics (one semester) if you know your student is not going into a major that requires math past college algebra. 

Follow up, then.  Can we just do Precalculus, and that will be adequate prep for the College Algebra CLEP?  I thought Precal and College Algebra were significantly different?

Follow up, then.  Can we just do Precalculus, and that will be adequate prep for the College Algebra CLEP?  I thought Precal and College Algebra were significantly different?

Not significantly different.  College algebra will cover a few topics in slightly greater depth than precalculus.

If you find a college algebra + trig book (single tome), it basically is precalculus.  If two volumes, you'll see the slightly increased depth.  We have a few of each kind at home.

For CLEP, you'd really want a dedicated algebra book.  What is the real objective?  Place out of college math?  If so, it may be chasing a hollow promise.  Liberal arts majors can sometimes getting away with only college algebra, but usually, it's one course beyond (at least), which may include stats.  Precalc will be more likely to meet the objective overall.

• Like 1

The algebra portions are not significantly different. The trigonometry in a precalculus class will not be covered on the college algebra CLEP. For the college algebra CLEP, you should do specific prep, probably using a prep book. 

Edited by kiana
  • Like 1