Menu

My dd is having anxiety over taking WTMA WWS 1!!

michaeljenn

I signed my daughter up for WTMA WWS 1 and she is honestly scared to death.  She can be a perfectionist and does not like it when she gets something wrong.  She is so scared that she will make a fool out of herself! Oh my goodness!!  She is begging me to take her out of the class.  I think she will probably love the class.  She loves to be independent and she can be independent with this class.  We have always butted heads when it came time to correct her writing, which is another reason I signed her up for a class.  I thought having someone else go over her papers besides me would be a very good thing.  

Did anyone else's child not want to do the class but ended up enjoying it?  I feel bad for her, but I am NOT taking her out of the class.  

I don't know about the class, but if she loves writing you can tell her that a lot of writing is about getting things wrong. The best way to learn isn't to get it right the first time, but to goof up, have your errors pointed out so that you can find them yourself after you calm down, and then to fix them. There is no point, IMO, in taking a class if you don't go in planning to make a royal fool of yourself. 

It's scary. It's not always fun. And the ego is going to take a blow. But it's the best way to learn.

• Like 1

My DD didn't have a strong feeling one way or the other before the class, but it turned out to be the highlight of the school year. She loved the teacher, the independence, the detailed/structured assignments, and especially the social time before class began. I would encourage your daughter to keep an open mind about it; she may be very pleasantly surprised.