Menu

Big History Project?

I am looking at the Big History Project for world history this year. Has anyone successfully completed this with one student? I am doing an overview of how it works and how to schedule and I am finding that many of the assignments are done with groups and group discussions. Any insights are appreciated!

Yes, I did the whole shebang with my student in 7th grade. It was awesome.  In retrospect it might have been better to do in 8th or 9th - she was just learning to write essays, so some of the early Investigations were a little out of reach for her, but by the end she was doing them all.  As far as the group assignments, I just skipped anything that didn't make sense to do just the two of us together. There were plenty of assignments, so that didn't lighten it up too much! We also added a bunch of supplemental reading and other online resources, so we fleshed it out into her full science plus history for the year. We really enjoyed it. I look forward to doing it with my younger dd too, but will probably wait till essay writing is solid so she can fully benefit from all the Investigations.

• Like 1

Yes, I did the whole shebang with my student in 7th grade. It was awesome.  In retrospect it might have been better to do in 8th or 9th - she was just learning to write essays, so some of the early Investigations were a little out of reach for her, but by the end she was doing them all.  As far as the group assignments, I just skipped anything that didn't make sense to do just the two of us together. There were plenty of assignments, so that didn't lighten it up too much! We also added a bunch of supplemental reading and other online resources, so we fleshed it out into her full science plus history for the year. We really enjoyed it. I look forward to doing it with my younger dd too, but will probably wait till essay writing is solid so she can fully benefit from all the Investigations.

May I ask which method you chose: Teacher, Student, or Lifelong Learner/Independent Study? Did you do the free teacher training?

I've been looking at this, but am a little confused as to which I should choose.  I just have one student.

I did it with my older son for 9th grade this past year.

I signed up for a teacher account and he has a student account. Setting it up that way lets him take the quizzes online and enables me to see his test scores.

I took the syllabus that I choose from the BHP's teacher materials, and edited out the group activities that weren't feasible for us. I also added some things.

It's entirely doable with one child.

I did it with my older son for 9th grade this past year.

I signed up for a teacher account and he has a student account. Setting it up that way lets him take the quizzes online and enables me to see his test scores.

I took the syllabus that I choose from the BHP's teacher materials, and edited out the group activities that weren't feasible for us. I also added some things.

It's entirely doable with one child.

Great, that's what I was hoping. Thanks for the info!

May I ask which method you chose: Teacher, Student, or Lifelong Learner/Independent Study? Did you do the free teacher training?

I've been looking at this, but am a little confused as to which I should choose.  I just have one student.

So we did the class through the Big History website, not through Coursera, which wasn't an option at the time. I signed up as a teacher. I'm sure the website/portal has changed, they are constantly upgrading the tool.  It looks different when I log in now than it did two years ago when we started the class.