Menu

Anatomy/Physiology 6th Grade

rutamattatt

My 6th grade DS is interested in doing anatomy/physiology for science.  Of course, I've looked at Apologia and may use that, but I wonder if y'all have any other suggestions.

DS is interested in things like exercise science, physical therapy, massage (luckiest.mom.ever.).  He has already done some basic anatomy reading/activities this past school year.  He is not a huge fan of "read a book, fill in the blanks", but he is pretty smart and would do well to be challenged since it's an area of interest for him.   I'd love to find something that might appeal to him that is more than "here are the body systems" - so maybe more exercise science???  What I have found online seems to be more college oriented, but he is not ready for that level by any means.

Or should I just use the Apologia and try and supplement with some resources?

I feel like there has to be something out there like what I want, but by dang if I can seem to find it!

TIA.

ETA:  We are already planning to do nutrition/health with him, so maybe I only need to find a resource for fitness/muscles/exercise science?

Edited by rutamattatt

I'm in nearly the same exact boat as you. Very bright rising 7th grader who has a high interest in A and P. I'm really not sure what I want to do yet. I will probably start with Ellen McHenry's cells unit. We'll definitely also do her Brain unit. In between, I have also debated Apologia, but I don't love it. 

Have you seen Master Books? http://www.masterbooks.com/introduction-to-anatomy-physiology-curriculum-pack

I just recently found that set and I'm debating ordering it. 

I'm in nearly the same exact boat as you. Very bright rising 7th grader who has a high interest in A and P. I'm really not sure what I want to do yet. I will probably start with Ellen McHenry's cells unit. We'll definitely also do her Brain unit. In between, I have also debated Apologia, but I don't love it. 

Have you seen Master Books? http://www.masterbooks.com/introduction-to-anatomy-physiology-curriculum-pack

I just recently found that set and I'm debating ordering it. 

This is actually the book (volume 1) that I am thinking of using.  I really like it, and once I found there was a Teacher's Guide I liked it even more.  I can't seem to order from the master books website though…  They have these books at christinabook.com but the teachers guide is backordered.   :thumbdown:

• Like 1