Menu

Is the writing in ELTL enough for 5th grade?

I am debating using this with my 5 grader or going with R&S and using the writing portion as well. He has done two years of IEW at coop and done well. I'm just worried that the writing in ELTL will not be enough for him. What if I add CAP to ELTL? Something else? I think I've pinned myself into a corner by overthinking...

ETA: we did FFL 3 this past year since I had it and he does know parts of speech pretty well from using IEW

Edited by MyLittleBears

I have not seen R&S so I a can't compare with that.  ELTL provides some specific instruction but it expects the student to write based on what they read/ hear.  We have used levels 1 through 3 and will start with 4 this year.  It provides more writing opportunities than previous levels but probably not as much as other writing programs.  It is CM in the sense that students don't really start written narrations (or compositions) until about 10 which is when most students would be in level 4. She uses some elements that are common in progym programs but because it is an all in one program it doesn't dwell on these matters too much. CAP seems between ELTL and IEW in the way it offers instruction.  Since it is solely a composition program it uses the progym but focuses on specific aspects of writing with lots of examples and supports. IEW is probably the most formulaic of these and clearly guides the student on how to construct every step of the paper (from what I have seen).  I think all of them can work and depend on the child and the teacher.  

In my opinion, using ELTL and CAP would be somewhat redundant unless you wanted CAP to provide you with a bit more support and examples for specific aspects of writing.  They are both progym approaches.  If you want to introduce more creative writing or free writing I would think something like Bravewriter would be a better fit to accomplish that.  We use ELTL as our spine but I teach middle and high school history at a coop and I use pieces of CAP to introduce different writing concepts.  After using level 4 of ELTL I might pull some of her exercises as well.  We have really enjoyed ELTL and writing our narrations will be a big step for us this year. His oral narrations are great after spending a few years in this program.  So he has the thought process, now we just have to learn the writing process. 

Hope you find a combination that works for your family. 

• Like 3

I have not seen R&S so I a can't compare with that.  ELTL provides some specific instruction but it expects the student to write based on what they read/ hear.  We have used levels 1 through 3 and will start with 4 this year.  It provides more writing opportunities than previous levels but probably not as much as other writing programs.  It is CM in the sense that students don't really start written narrations (or compositions) until about 10 which is when most students would be in level 4. She uses some elements that are common in progym programs but because it is an all in one program it doesn't dwell on these matters too much. CAP seems between ELTL and IEW in the way it offers instruction.  Since it is solely a composition program it uses the progym but focuses on specific aspects of writing with lots of examples and supports. IEW is probably the most formulaic of these and clearly guides the student on how to construct every step of the paper (from what I have seen).  I think all of them can work and depend on the child and the teacher.  

In my opinion, using ELTL and CAP would be somewhat redundant unless you wanted CAP to provide you with a bit more support and examples for specific aspects of writing.  They are both progym approaches.  If you want to introduce more creative writing or free writing I would think something like Bravewriter would be a better fit to accomplish that.  We use ELTL as our spine but I teach middle and high school history at a coop and I use pieces of CAP to introduce different writing concepts.  After using level 4 of ELTL I might pull some of her exercises as well.  We have really enjoyed ELTL and writing our narrations will be a big step for us this year. His oral narrations are great after spending a few years in this program.  So he has the thought process, now we just have to learn the writing process. 

Hope you find a combination that works for your family. 

Thank you. That was very helpful!

I haven't used level 4, but my 7th grader is using level 5. Monday and Wednesday include copywork (1/2 page in a commonplace book) and dictation (typically one to two paragraphs). Friday is a written narration, and each time she gives specific things to include in the narration.

We are also using Wayfarers, which has them do narrations in the different subjects throughout the week. So there is a narration opportunity every day.

I personally think the writing in ELTL is enough, assuming that you are writing across subjects as Wayfarers suggests.

• Like 1

I haven't used level 4, but my 7th grader is using level 5. Monday and Wednesday include copywork (1/2 page in a commonplace book) and dictation (typically one to two paragraphs). Friday is a written narration, and each time she gives specific things to include in the narration.

We are also using Wayfarers, which has them do narrations in the different subjects throughout the week. So there is a narration opportunity every day.

I personally think the writing in ELTL is enough, assuming that you are writing across subjects as Wayfarers suggests.

Just curious if you will switch to something else after ELTL 5, since her other levels are not out yet. One of my concerns is using a program that I will have to switch out of since there are no subsequent books. That is part of the reason R&S is still on my radar.

Just curious if you will switch to something else after ELTL 5, since her other levels are not out yet. One of my concerns is using a program that I will have to switch out of since there are no subsequent books. That is part of the reason R&S is still on my radar.

Level 6 is supposed to be out this fall, and if you need it before she releases it (she's had some health issues slowing her down), you can email her to get the beginning parts. Her own son is using level 6 this year, so it will get written. I think it was originally planned for August but might be September or a little later.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1