Menu

Becoming independent learners-- questions for logic stage

Mom2legomaniacs

I am wondering about something with others in this age (5th+) group. How much working with them do you actually do? How much do they do independently? Are you transitioning in many areas to more of a facilitator as opposed to teacher?

I have found my ds (10) to have suddenly become very independent lately. He is doing most of the work without me. I go over things when he needs help. I grade his work and discuss any issues. But the boy is liking doing things on his own right now!

Is this just a phase? Do you see any issues with that or is it a good goal to have him move toward being a more independent learner?

I'm trying to transition to more independent work for my 5th grader. I switched from R&S to GWG because he can do it on his own. We also use WW and SW that he does on his own. I only need to spend a couple of minutes explaining each assignment in Writing Skills and talking about yesterday's assignment, the strong points and weak points. I started using Sonlight this year because he can do most of the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer on his own. I still do read alouds with him and I have to teach Latin, math and science. I'll hopefully move him to more independent work as time goes on.

Mine has started doing most on his own as of late. Math comes naturally to him, so he does it on his own right now. He is at the beginning of the next book which doesn't have a lot of new material right off the bat. I suspect in a while, I'll be back to teaching math to him again. But for now, he is working on speed and accuracy with the repeat material at the front of the book.

He is doing grammar (R&S 5) mostly on his own right now. I look to see what the lesson entails first. Again, at the beginning of the book there doesn't seem to be a need for my teaching yet.

History, he reads and does it on his own. Same with spelling and Latin.

I am working on beginning IEW's TWSS but need to sit down and do some more work on it myself before really getting in to it.

I think as he moves further in the math and grammar, I will be required to do more. Just in a strange place right now. Kind of odd feeling!

I am wondering about something with others in this age (5th+) group. How much working with them do you actually do? How much do they do independently? Are you transitioning in many areas to more of a facilitator as opposed to teacher?

My school-age children are faiirly independent, mostly because they have to be. With 5 school-age and 2 littles, my one-on-one teaching time is limited.

However, even when working independently, I am *around* and overseeing my 4th and 6th graders. They work at the dining room table, so it's easy to answer questions or make sure they're hard at it. I look over some of their work right away and send them back to the table for corrections.

My olders (8th, 9th, 11th graders) are upstairs working in their rooms. That's good in a way, because it's quieter up there. Bothers me in a way, though, because I'm never *quite* sure that they are on task. E-mail is quiet too. :o) I've found that even as my kids grew older and independent, I've still had to use a system of accountability.

Lisa

Hi,

My dd8 is almost finished 4th grade in Australia and she works independently - I am around to help if she needs it but I usually just mark her work in the evenings and write comments in her books so I don't forget where she needs help. I'm pretty flat-out with the younger 3, although even dd6 is already doing a number of subjects independently.

In my case, the subjects I actually teach are Latin, Japanese and Science - I find languages can't be learnt just out of books, and I like the fact that we discuss grammar a fair bit in Latin because I'm also getting a chance to check her comprehension of the grammar rules.

Actually, every now and then when I'm marking her maths work, I see a big error of understanding and will get out the manipulatives with her and go over a concept - so she's not entirely going it alone. Oh, and I read aloud history with her but she does the rest independently, and I do her spelling tests and the occasional dictation with her.

It is great to see what they are actually capable of, isn't it!

Jenny

It is amazing to see what they are capable of! When in school (me), I don't ever recall doing things that way. We just waited to be told what to do and how to do it. Mine are both trying to do things on their own first, then asking when they do not understand. Not in all areas, but in a lot of them.

Even my little one, 7, is quite capable of doing a fair bit on his own and actually prefers that sometimes. He is an amazing little reader and devours books.

It is nice to see others with the same ways of doing things. Being at home does not make it easy for a comparison of sorts with others of the same ages.