Menu

Betsy-Tacy Series and another RA question

Janna

Thanks to whoever recommended the Betsy-Tacy series for the next read-aloud with dd. She is just loving them! In fact, after I read the first one to her, I told her that she should just go ahead and read these on her own, because she was clearly enjoying them immensely. So she is on maybe the 4th or 5th book (?) and we started book number 1 just what? 2 weeks ago? She loves to read herself to sleep with these after I've read our read-aloud together. So thank you for the recommendation.

So our current read-aloud, since she's doing the Betsy-Tacy on her own, is The Mysterious Benedict Society. I read this last year and knew she would really love it. I'm having a fun time with her about it because she didn't want me to read that one. She thought for sure she wouldn't like it. Obviously, I didn't listen to her.;) So now, I tease her because she is constantly bringing me the book and asking me to read more. Ane when I stop, she says, "Oh, man! You always stop at a good part! Please, just read the next chapter? I promise you can stop after that one!" To which I respond with a smile, "Nope, sorry. I mean, afterall, you didn't really want this book to begin with, so...." ;)

My question is, what would be a similar style book as The Mysterious Benedict Society that I could have her be reading on her own? A page turner, if you will? The only one I can think of off hand is The City of Ember. Any others?

Thanks!

My ds loved The Mysterious Benedict Society. He has been begging us for the second book (Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey) but I'm trying to hold him off until Christmas. Another one that we just finished that he also really enjoyed along the same lines was Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett. There are also a couple of follow up books in this series as well and my ds just checked out one of the others yesterday.

HTH!

The City of Ember has 2 sequels, THe People of Sparks & The Prophet of Yonwood(sp). Dd has read all 3, and so have I. The People of Sparks is a sequel, and the other one a prequel, but you really need to read it last or it spoils the whole thing. Dd said that apparently there's a fourth one coming out.

I read and really enjoyed The Book of Story Beginnings by Kristin Kladstrup. I also liked Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge. She might also enjoy Alex and the Ironic Gentleman by Adrienne Kress and Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers.

When I was younger I really enjoyed a book called The Endless Steppe.

Would your daughter enjoy the Series of Unfortunate Events series (Lemony Snickett)? How about The Hobbit?

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator