Menu

Texas BBQ

gardenmom5

okay, the bbq thread had me wanting some texas bbq.  so, I let ds know, that's what we are having for his birthday.  he also does a game night with his friends, so he wants burgers for that. (though I'd be happy to do pork or brisket)

but we'll do beef ribs for the family the next day - dh has a smoker.

sides will be similiar.

potato salad.

corn bread -or maybe my biscuts, but probably corn bread (I have a great recipe)

beans

etc.

I need a GOOD texas bbq beans recipe (I'm currently too lazy to get up and look at my texas bbq cookbook)

anything else essential?

and I need veggies . . . .

I could make him a carrot cake or german chocolate cake (he'd probably prefer the latter.)

Corn on the cob, except that you are having cornbread.

I don't have a texas bbq beans recipe, I don't think.  I kind of did a baked beans-ish recipe this year. I soaked some great northern beans overnight.  Next day, dumped the water and add fresh water and cooked them in the crockpot with a couple green onions and one chopped up slice of ham lunchmeat.  Took about 6 hours.  Dumped the water.  Stirred in a bunch of Grandma's Molasses, ketchup, and brown sugar.  Popped in fridge overnight.  Baked the next day at 350 for half an hour ish.  I got compliments.  It wasn't Bush's, but it was good.

Cole slaw is vegetable-y.

Watermelon would be yummy.

You sound pretty well covered. A lot of the bbq places here serve Mac n cheese too. Sides of onions and pickles. Nothing healthy. Healthy and BBQ deserve separate days. :) Make sure you have a lot of bacon and sweetness in the beans! I wish I had my dads recipe. He makes the best baked beans on earth, but it's his secret.

And Just make sure you work in the word y'all whenever possible. :)

Throw in a chocolate ice box cake and some sweet tea and you can be an honorary Texan for the day.

Edited by texasmom33

Oh- and if you serve sandwiches try and get some sweet buns- kind of like Kings Hawaiian but denser. Or jalapeño cheese buns are always good too!!!