Menu

Which AP is harder-AP Chemistry or AP Biology?

We have to decide whether my kid will start with Honors Bio or Honors Chem next year with the intent that he would take the AP course the following year as required by his school. He has had exposure to Bio and Chem for the past 4 years and will get the honors course before the AP course. The school requires that he take both AP courses by the time he graduates so it is not a matter of which one. It is a matter of which one first.

So in your experience, which AP course is easier for a kid who finds sciences and math easy?

We did Chemistry first.  There isn't as much memorizing in Chem as there is in Bio.  Someone good in math shouldn't have issues DOING the math in Chem (which is one reason we did Chemistry, as both kids had completed through Alg 2.  Oldest son also has zero interest in Bio.  Bio has had a lot more terminology which needed to be mastered (more memorizing).  You're usually encouraged to have a solid background in Chem before tackling AP Biology.  So, if he has to take the Honors course the year prior to the AP course, I guess I'd suggest Chemistry then Biology.  Around here, kids usually do Bio, Chem, then AP something (AP Physics 1, AP Bio, or AP Chem).  

• Like 2

I'm inclined to agree with LisaK. Bio has so much memorizing. Chemistry was more math and logical thinking for me, which was easier and more natural to me.

FWIW, the honors science track at my high school was:

Honors Integrated Science

AP Chemistry

AP Biology

AP Physics

• Like 1