Menu

opinions on Spelling Power or Phonetic Zoo?

Jenileigh

We started Spelling Power this year. My son had been doing Rod & Staff Spelling. I like R&S very much (but it had gotten very tedious), so I wasn't sure how we would do with SP. But, I am happy to report that SP has been a huge hit. My son says every day that he loves spelling and he often wants to do SP before he does anything else for the day. I have even heard him telling his father about his new spelling curriculum and how much he likes it.

I found the method easy to learn and my son thinks it's fun. I stick to the fifteen minute limit. My son is an auditory learner and he likes the immediate verbal feedback.

Do you have any specific questions? I'd be glad to try to help.

My dd (8) absolutely LOVES the Phonetic Zoo!!!!! She's learned ALOT in just the first few lessons, and she actually gets disappointed if we have to skip it one day due to time constraints.

It's a little pricey if you purchase new. I'd recommend checking out some of the used curriculum websites. I picked mine up for about $30 off of www.homeschoolclassifieds.com.

I had typed up a LONG explanation of exactly how the Phonetic Zoo works on an earlier post this summer. I'm not very computer "savvy" so I didn't know how to put the link in this message, but I'm sure you can do a search for threads on the Phonetc Zoo and locate it.

Hope that helps!!

Tammie in LA

We picked up SP used (the edition without the cd---haven't needed the cd so far, but it can be ordered for about $5 from the company) for $15 and it's working quite well. I found this site helpful http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SPmenu.htm. My daughter is a strong natural speller, fyi, so if your child is not that may make a difference (don't know).

We are enjoying Spelling Power. Here are some reasons why it works well (for us)...

It isn't consumable.

It allows us to focus on words my kids need more time studying and less on those they already know.

There are so many ways to study words... on the computer, 10 step method, etc... my kids each have their own favorite way they want to study and they are all easy for the teacher to manage

Your child can work independently, if you want. The CD comes with the book and it allows you to record spelling tests and practice lists for each student

The placement test allows you to start and finish the curriculum based on your own goals.

If you have questions about Spelling Power feel free to ask. It is one of the purchases I am happiest with over the last two years!

Susan

My dd (8) absolutely LOVES the Phonetic Zoo!!!!! She's learned ALOT in just the first few lessons, and she actually gets disappointed if we have to skip it one day due to time constraints.

It's a little pricey if you purchase new. I'd recommend checking out some of the used curriculum websites. I picked mine up for about $30 off of www.homeschoolclassifieds.com.

I had typed up a LONG explanation of exactly how the Phonetic Zoo works on an earlier post this summer. I'm not very computer "savvy" so I didn't know how to put the link in this message, but I'm sure you can do a search for threads on the Phonetc Zoo and locate it.

Hope that helps!!

Tammie in LA

:iagree: Phonetic Zoo is a big hit here.

Spelling Power just didn't jive with us. After several more attempts at spelling curriculum with a struggling middle schooler, I purchased Phonetic Zoo. Hearing Mr. Pudewa's explaination of how spelling and the brain work together, it made perfect sense. Spelling is the random retrieval of sequentially stored information. If the info isn't stored in correct sequential order, incorrect spelling results. PZ uses sight, sound, writing and speaking to reinforce the sequence of misspelled words.

HTH,

Teresa in NC