Menu

Anybody homeschooling while living in Russia or living there with HS children

I am looking for American family who is homeschooling or just living in Russia with children right now to ask how they do the things there. I was offered a job in Russia by American company, but I am not sure how to figure whether it will be possible to manage living there, especially getting Ameican high school diploma, etc. We need diploma, not GED, because there is a possibility of going medical school there, and they won't accept GED or homeschool transcript. Please email me if you know somebody who does it. Lena

• Like 1

My friend doing this used The American School (correspondence school) to homeschool at the highschool level. You will need to check into legalities of homeschooling. It's possible, but there are more hoops to jump through to make it fully official. (I don't know if the rules are at all regional, but where I was the head of the local school had to accept responsibility for the homeschool parent as one of his or her teachers. Some school heads were willing, others had no desire to rock the boat and take extra work for themselves)  I think foreigners sometimes just do it and no one messes with them. If you tell people "we are following an American curriculum to prepare our children for American universities," it's pretty socially acceptable.