Menu

Did anyone save the info from this old thread? (SMSG Math)

The SMSG materials are not going to have a TM for Moise Downs geometry.  (They would, however, have the SMSG geometry and TM, though I don't have updated links.)  What Moise Downs do you have (ISBN/year)?

ETA, with the difficulty in getting old TMs, it might be better to choose something newer.  What about this text is especially appealing?

Edited by wapiti

Moise and Downs were actually mentioned specifically on these SMSG threads.

I became interested in Moise/Downs after seeing Barry Garelick mention it in this article. I have this one. I also have a copy of Birkhoff's geometry, and when I showed them both to DH (who will be the math teacher next year!), he selected M/D. However, if we can't locate a TM, we may just do Birkhoff, since there is a TM available for that one.

It looks like the ISBN for the TM is 9780201253368, if Follet is accurate.  (Try Worldcat?)  There are older posts on the forums about the Moise Downs text by Myrtle - might be worth a google of the forum.  She talked about a lot of interesting geometry books.

Moise and Downs were among the mathematicians who were part of the School Mathematics Study Group (SMSG) and that's why their names were mentioned in those threads.  The SMSG materials would pre-date the TM you're looking for by a few decades (IIRC, they were something like late 1950s).  ETA, if you're looking for the actual SMSG texts - the student and the teacher editions - the links were formerly available online.  I can't look at the moment but maybe tomorrow I can do some hunting around.

I have an early 80s version of the Moise Downs text someplace.  For my oldest, we ended up using AoPS Geometry (if you're looking for a proof-heavy geometry with boatloads of problem solving, it's fairly unique).

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Some links to SMSG texts:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=School%20Mathematics%20Study%20Group (easy to find which text you are looking for and view online, but idk how easy to download/print)

https://eric.ed.gov/?q=Smsg+geometry+with+coordinates+teacher%27s+commentary&ft=on (Eric.ed.gov has all the PDFs for smsg online and downloadable as PDF, but searching went better when I could get the exact title from the other link)

• Like 1