Menu

Summer Math Choices?

My son has finished Tablet class Algebra 1 in the spring. Ds(13) is working through Khan Academy and EDX algebra and is doing pretty well with it. At this point, we're looking at Algebra 1(Saxon Math) in the fall. 

I think over the summer, I'd like to use something to review and retain all the skills for the advanced Maths.. Any ideas of what I could use for this? 

I would love to hear your experiences with all these options.

Khan Academy Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 and Geometry

Mathhelp.com Algebra 1 Algebra 2 and Geometry

AOPS Prealgebra or Algebra (without books just use the site)

Which one would be the best option for summer learning?

Thank you! 

First, are you really going to do Saxon Algebra I next year after having taken Tablet Class Algebra I?  Or was this a typo?  Have you had him take a Saxon Placement test?

As for summer, are you looking for free things?  I'm not the biggest fan of Khan Academy, but if you are just looking for some free, easy review, it's fine.  No experience with MathHelp. I love AoPS, but I'm not sure how you can do AoPS without the books, unless you are just having him watch the free videos online and Alcumus? 

If I was going to do a free resource, it would be Khan.  

I'm not sure doing Saxon Alg I after already having done another Algebra course will give a deeper understanding.  AoPS Intro to Algebra, or Singapore Discovering Mathematics would be a better choices for that, imo.  I like Saxon, but I don't think it will go any deeper than Tablet Class.  

• Like 3

My son has finished Tablet class Algebra 1 in the spring. Ds(13) is working through Khan Academy and EDX algebra and is doing pretty well with it. At this point, we're looking at Algebra 1(Saxon Math) in the fall. 

I think over the summer, I'd like to use something to review and retain all the skills for the advanced Maths.. Any ideas of what I could use for this? 

I would love to hear your experiences with all these options.

Khan Academy Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 and Geometry

Mathhelp.com Algebra 1 Algebra 2 and Geometry

AOPS Prealgebra or Algebra (without books just use the site)

Which one would be the best option for summer learning?

Thank you! 

I would go through AoPS for greater depth and challenge.  We did both AoPS and TabletClass for Algebra.  I think they both complement each other very well.  I would recommend using AoPS Intro to Algebra with the video and book this Summer.  This could then be used beyond the Summer and into the school year  for a very solid understanding of Algebra.  Keep in mind that AoPS Intro to Algebra covers both Algebra 1 & 2. So, it makes for a smooth transition forward if he ends up liking it.  I think its worth the investment if you can afford it.  

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2