Menu

Grammar through Latin - Programs

mymommy1

First, I know very little about Latin, so please excuse errors.  My husband had college Latin and teaches this subject to the boys. 

We want a Latin and grammar program or programs that go together or somehow eliminate as much overlap as possible.  We are currently working through GSWL, which was chosen from the reviews here.  I am thinking about or getting ready to start grammar with the boys (6th and 3rd).  I saw on Cathy Duffy's reviews that CAP Latin for Children (LFC) is keyed or inline with Shurley Grammar.  First Form Latin (FFL) is made to go with Memoria Press English Grammar Recitation (EGR).  Are there other programs I should be looking at for after GSWL?

Then, have you found that using certain grammar and Latin programs together is either helpful or difficult?

Edited by mymommy1

The First Form Latin series from Memoria Press teaches a lot of grammar.  This past school year, I deliberately chose that program in order to lighten up our English grammar time.  I don't use Memoria Press grammar but used Fix-It Grammar last year with my middle school boys.  It worked out well.

I'm not familiar with it, but The Latin Road is another one, I think. It is for older kids, though. The earlier program is the English Road (?)

ETA Phonics Road, not English Road

We are going to try MP's EGR this year to use along with their grammar this year:(no workbook- just the recitation).

Edited by RootAnn

I think CAP Latin now has it's own CAP Grammar to go with it. It makes an even better fit with their latin. Their writing is also very good and to the point, IMO.

I am trying to shrink our Language arts down too because LfC a, by CAP, seems to require almost 5 days a week. We have paired it with ELTL in the past because she covers art appreciation, poems, writing (copywork, narration, dictation), literature reading, and grammar. It is working but if we get bored we will switch to the new CAP grammar and their writing.