Menu

Question about AAR Word cards

We are currently 1/3 of the way through Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. My daughter grasps the concepts and can read the words in the lessons, but it is slow. We've played review games with the phonics principles she's covered and it helps. There are words she can read instantly. However, I want to improve her fluency. I've seen about AAR word cards and was wondering the best way to make my own cards based off of OPG. do I just pick and choose words to make cards of? Use higher frequency words? We play a reading card game and she does really well with it and does well with the few sight words OPG has introduced. I think reviewing words on cards would definitely build her fluency. But, I don't know which words from the lessons I would choose. Doing all seems a bit much.

In AAR, there are about 10 cards per lesson, so you can end up with a lot of cards. Each day, you rotate through the stack for about 2-3 minutes of practice--so you don't need to review all of them daily, but over time the child builds up fluency.

Do they do all the words in the lesson? Or just ones that are higher frequency. Some lessons in OPG, we have 15+ words and others under 10. I think I'll go back and make cards this afternoon. We are nearing the end of a section and I plan to spend the next week or two doing review before we hit alternate spellings for vowel sounds.

Do they do all the words in the lesson? Or just ones that are higher frequency. Some lessons in OPG, we have 15+ words and others under 10. I think I'll go back and make cards this afternoon. We are nearing the end of a section and I plan to spend the next week or two doing review before we hit alternate spellings for vowel sounds.

No, there are many more words on the fluency pages, the 10 are usually more high frequency words. 

I would have her make the cards...that way she is reviewing the phonics in two different directions.

I would probably get out letter magnets or scrabble tiles and tell her we are going to make some new word cards to play games with.  Announce the first phoneme or phonics construct you want to review: for example, words that begin with "bl".  Ask what words she can think of that start with "bl".  She thinks of blob, so you have her sound it out (with help if required) and use the magnetic letters to form the word.  Then give her an index card and have her copy the word onto it (or you do it or let her use letter stamps if her handwriting wouldn't be adequately legible).  After you have a couple bl words then more on to cl, etc.

I would try very hard to run with most any word she came up with that fit the pattern.  If she wanted the word bloom, I would happily teach the "oo" even if you haven't formally gotten there.  If she wanted the word bless I would have her sound it out and then pop on the second "l" that she would not know to add and casually mention that l is often doubled at the end of short words.  

I find that my kids get a lot more out of games and activities if they feel some degree of ownership.

Wendy