Menu

Help me get motivated teaching Lively Latin!

Karie

I have the first chapter printed out for my sons sitting on my bookshelf. They've been there since June!! I can't get motivated to teach Latin. Maybe I need more structure, but I've bought this and really do want to use it. How do you teach this? What does your week look like? I really want to do this, but I'm a bit overwhelmed just going over all the Latin names for boys and girls. Help me please!!!! :001_huh:

Have you looked at the teacher notes on the website? Those walk you through the introduction and the first couple of lessons. I would print those out, get an idea of how to get started, and jump in. Play the audio of those names and help your kids pick one out - that part my ds really enjoyed. We liked the history of latin in the intro, if you aren't interested you could skip that and go to Lesson 1. Have your kids help make the vocab flashcards and listen to the pronunciation on the website. After that you just keep going page by page, just do the flashcards and a worksheet each day or time you have set aside and there you're studying Latin!

I have the first chapter printed out for my sons sitting on my bookshelf. They've been there since June!! I can't get motivated to teach Latin. Maybe I need more structure, but I've bought this and really do want to use it. How do you teach this? What does your week look like? I really want to do this, but I'm a bit overwhelmed just going over all the Latin names for boys and girls. Help me please!!!! :001_huh:

Oh, just start. I actually had children at different levels and we went back to Lively Latin for "why we do what we do." It has been my favorite to do with the children. We are all learning so much and I plan on starting Henle back next fall after we have the basics down. It is very gentle and really makes sense to me!

WEll, I felt the same way you do when I first printed out Lesson 1. I also posted that I thought I would shelve it for a while. Then, something motivated me to give it a try, and to remember we could go at our own pace, and not worry about finishing the unit by May. Well, now it's a month later, we still haven't finished lesson 1, and we really like it. Btw, we'll finish lesson 1 in a few days. I decided to take it slow and do all the additional history reading, and I truly enjoy the program. Even my 9 yo ds likes it and chants to me (to annoy me). I've seen other posters mention that the other lessons may go faster. It doesn't matter to me because I'm starting to "get it" I think as to why learning latin is important (as opposed to just doing root words) and I think this is an effective, friendly program. I would give it a try, go at your own pace, and make a decision after a month or so. I suspect you will enjoy it. (I never studied latin before)..........

We didn't pick names. You have my permission to skip that part ;).

I try to make Latin an "easy" subject. My 5th grader goes over the vocabulary flashcard page (I don't cut them) and then she does a page with me sitting beside her. One page is doable.

My 13 yodd does a couple of pages a day independently.

They listen to the audio clips when new vocab is introduced. Once they know it, they go over the vocab without the audio. They review all the vocab and chants every day.