Menu

CLE reading for high reader? What level?

Meadowlark

We just got my son's test scores back and I was pleased. He scored 97 for reading. He's currently in 3rd grade. I have never done a reading "program" with him after phonics-just let him read to his heart's content.

BUT-the stories in CLE seem sweet and right up his alley. Would it be terrible of me to have him do the 5 lightunits that go with it? Or would that be squeezing the joy out of an already high reader? I'm also trying to teach this particular one some independence and thought this might fit the bill. We're also planning to use their LA  if that helps.

If I did use it, what level would I place him? I don't see a reading diagnostic test on their website.

It's been challenging back a grade level for my two. Both are very good readers. The questions are difficult/higher thinking.

My kids like CLE reading and both read a lot outside of school work. I don't think it would kill a love of reading. Neither of mine are entirely independent with it fwiw. We used 5th grade in 6th grade. I'm going to pull out the inference and similar questions where one or both needed some hand holding and re-do those sorts of questions again before we move to the 6th grade. I like the program.

All good advice, thank you. I figured it would be really odd to place him so high especially when he really hasn't had ANY literary teaching whatsoever. I'm glad you both like it though-it looks great to me but that's reassuring. I'll put him in 4th next year if I decide to do it.