Menu

Help with Narrations (ELTL 3)

silver

We're partway into level 3 and I'm having trouble with the narrations. 

The instructions say I'm supposed to transcribe for my children when they narrate and then dictate back a few sentences for them to write. The problem with this is that I can neither write nor type fast enough to do this. So I'm constantly telling the to stop while I catch up. Or asking them to repeat themselves. This interrupts their train of thought and the narration is not as good as a result.

My kids aren't at a point where they can come up with an original sentence, hold it in their head, and then get it onto paper without loss of quality of the sentence. Nor do I expect them to be there. My understanding is that getting to that point is the purpose of copywork, oral narrations, and dictation. 

So my question is: how in the world do you manage oral narrations while having to have some of those sentences remembered/kept for the purpose of dictating them back to the student?

I whip out my smartphone and record.

ETA: Sometimes, my ds is willing to dictate a story which there is no way I can type that fast without losing details. So, that's the solution I came up with which helps with the narration/dictation issue.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 4

I whip out my smartphone and record.

ETA: Sometimes, my ds is willing to dictate a story which there is no way I can type that fast without losing details. So, that's the solution I came up with which helps with the narration/dictation issue.

I need to figure out how to do this. I never write my kids dictation a down anymore for this reason. They'd get annoyed and forget, the whole process would take longer, etc.

• 3 weeks later...